GS1100L vs. GS1100E Engine Sprocket Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm learnig something here.

I measured the width of the E model 17" wheel & the L model 16" wheel. Measuring points were from the inner surface of the brake rotor to the CL of the sprocket. I find that the 16" wheel is more than .5cm wider. Now that may not seem like a lot. But it is rather significant.

Sprocket alignment is pretty critical. And a .5cm can result in premature wear and shortened chain life. I would never have given it much thought if not for this situation. Bill, I wonder if your sprockets are truely in alignment?

In order to ensure proper alignment Suzuki engineers designed this reversable front sprocket with different faces on each side. For the installation on the L model the sprocket rests flush with the inner spacer plus a flat washer. On the E model the oposite side of the sprocket slides OVER the spacer. This places the sprocket slightly closer to the engine case. How much would you want to bet this difference is .5cm? I haven't measured yet, but I'm pretty sure of what it will be.

Still I'm surprised at the poor design to prevent the L model sprocket nut from loosening. I'll feel better when I can install that bendable washer over the nut. A much better solution.

Comment

I used the same sprocket hub and outside spacer as with the 16" tire. This would not change the chain alignment.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
        Well I'm learnig something here.

I measured the width of the E model 17" wheel & the L model 16" wheel. Measuring points were from the inner surface of the brake rotor to the CL of the sprocket. I find that the 16" wheel is more than .5cm wider. Now that may not seem like a lot. But it is rather significant.

Sprocket alignment is pretty critical. And a .5cm can result in premature wear and shortened chain life. I would never have given it much thought if not for this situation. Bill, I wonder if your sprockets are truely in alignment?

In order to ensure proper alignment Suzuki engineers designed this reversable front sprocket with different faces on each side. For the installation on the L model the sprocket rests flush with the inner spacer plus a flat washer. On the E model the oposite side of the sprocket slides OVER the spacer. This places the sprocket slightly closer to the engine case. How much would you want to bet this difference is .5cm? I haven't measured yet, but I'm pretty sure of what it will be.
        Well I finally got around to repairing the chain on this bike. It's been a low priority for me. Now I would like to make this bike my daily runner. So I'm back at it.

Somewhere along the way I decided to do the chain conversion. So I have on hand a new 530 chain, and the front and rear sprockets. Also the 6mm spacer required for the front sprocket. And yes, the bendable washer and lock nut for the E model installation.

Before I removed the stock front sprocket, I measured the distance from the outer face to an arbitrary point on the engine case. I measure 2.64cm. As I said earlier, the stock sprocket has a different face on each side. For the E model this sprocket is reversed, and it fits OVER the stock spacer on the shaft. This places the sprocket closer to the engine case. Wanna guess how much? The difference is .55cm. No surprise.

So for a proper installation of the 530 chain conversion on the L model bike, THE 6MM SPACER MUST BE PLACED ON THE INSIDE. Measuring with the 530 sprocket and the spacer on the inside gets me at 2.62cm.

BTW. For anyone interested, I will post a picture of both faces of the stock sprocket. Just as soon as my camera battery is charged!

Comment

Alright! Glad to hear it worked out for you. =]

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
            Alright! Glad to hear it worked out for you. =]
            Where the hell you've been???
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Law School! Kill me before next school year please.

Tom, resizing the sporocket was A+ IMO. Good call.

Comment

Working...
              X