Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Normal Idle with Choke on??? Clutch Problem???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal Idle with Choke on??? Clutch Problem???

Ok, I seem to be posting so many threads on here. I can’t ever seem to find what I need or I don’t know how to search...

At the end of last season I went through my bike and prepped it for winter storage. I ran the engine with Fuel Stabilizer in the tank for about a half hour. Drained the Fuel from the tank, Pulled the plugs and poured about a tablespoon of oil into each and tried to turn it over (without fuel) to lube the piston seals. I took the tank off, and did some modifications to the body, but never did anything to the engine except Change the Clutch cable.

IDLE

Now, I have put the bike back together, Put the tank on, put some fuel in it, and then let the fuel get into the carbs by putting on Prime. I started the bike with Choke on, and it idles normal. It doesn’t idle High with the choke on like it should. I try giving it gas and it stalls out. no matter HOW slow I turn the throttle.

I didn’t mess with any of the carb Settings over the winter. I didn’t mess with any of the other components of the engine either. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell is wrong. Could it just be bad gas? Do I need to adjust my Idle Screw? And if so, why would that change if I never touched it?

CLUTCH

I changed my clutch cable because the casing was cracked and showing through to the cable itself. It also seemed to need an adjustment because when I release the clutch it was not a smooth take off. It seemed to grab a little at first then all at once at the end. I put it on, routed it correctly, and went through the adjustment procedure as stated in the Maintenance manual found on BassCliff’s website (Thanks man!) Nothing seems to be binding anywhere. Now, It still grabs a little at first when released but all at once near the end. AND, with the clutch pulled all the way in, I noticed that it still catches... Perhaps I need to bring back the Clutch Adjustment screw behind the Clutch adjustment cover a bit more? Any words of advice on this problem?

If anyone can give me a hand, I would really appreciate it. This forum is full of very smart people. I have really relied on this forum all winter for help with this bike. I am sure I will get the right help here. Thanks in advance!

For what ever reason (most likely stuck floats or crap gelled in the bowls) you are not getting enough fuel. Time to drain the bowels and refill them on PRIME or clean the carbs or both...

Do you have a filter other than the stock one located on the petcock?
    Petcock flowing correctly?
    Fully charged battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      Do you have a filter other than the stock one located on the petcock?
      Petcock flowing correctly?
      Fully charged battery?
      thanks for the advice...

I have an inline fuel Filter between the Petcock and the Carbs. Looks very clean.

Petcock has two hoses conneted. One from the #3 carb. I'm goingto check to make sure it is not kinked...

Battery drained while trying to get it running. Charging battery now though. Even with Fully charged battery I got the same problem...

I'll drain the bowls and put more gas in the tank and refill the bowls on prime. I'll let you know if it works... Thanks!
      Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM. Reason: type-Doh!

Comment

If the bowls weren't drained for storage the fuel left in them has probably left the smaller passages in the carbs gummed up even with the Stabil.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2009, 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling vowls>bowls

Comment

More than likely. It is worth verifying that the choke bar actually moves to the left and actuates the enricheners when you pull the choke.

I bought a 1000G with a set screw missing that keeps it from working correctly. I still haven't found the set screw though. It isn't in the parts book.

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          If the vowls weren't drained for storage the fuel left in them has probably left the smaller passages in the carbs gummed up even with the Stabil.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

[QUOTE=850 Combat;987422]More than likely. It is worth verifying that the choke bar actually moves to the left and actuates the enricheners when you pull the choke.
            [QUOTE]

I'm not sure exactly where the enricheners are, but I do know the choke is working. When I turn the choke down, I lose Idle. I'll have to look at it tomorrow.

Comment

Clutch Cable???

Anyone have any idea on the Clutch Side of things here? Anyone?

Comment

It does sound like an adjustment problem. Use both adjusters (at the hand lever and on the clutch cover) and make sure that there is only 1/8" or less freeplay at the clutch lever. You want the lever to, when completely released, move ever so slightly back and forth so as not to pre load the clutch and cause it to slip. If the clutch was slipping slightly prior to your cable change, you may need to sand the plates lightly (400 grit) and clean things up prior to a reinstall. Your clutch may be glazed and have developed hot spots and this is why you notine that it engages unevenly...just a thought.

Comment

Carb Problems!!! Ugh!!!!

So I drained 1,2 and 4 carbs. When I went to drain the #3 carb, Well, the Drain Screw Broke. Broke the head Right off the plug itself. UGH!!! Someone on here has the saying "Nothing is Easy" on their Signature. So true!

So, I need a new Float Bowl and Drain Screw. Anyone have one cheap? Shipping to 04347?

HELP!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo76 View Post
                    So I drained 1,2 and 4 carbs. When I went to drain the #3 carb, Well, the Drain Screw Broke. Broke the head Right off the plug itself. UGH!!! Someone on here has the saying "Nothing is Easy" on their Signature. So true!

So, I need a new Float Bowl and Drain Screw. Anyone have one cheap? Shipping to 04347?

HELP!!!!
                    I think at this point, considering the non-running issues you're already experiencing, I would pull the carbs off & give them a good dip cleaning & change out the o-rings & such... you should be able to remove the broken off plug at that time as well, no need yet for a new bowl. Once you remove the bowl you will have access to both sides of the broken plug - hit both sides with PB Blaster & a heat gun after you "cut" a slot in the remaining "stud" stuck in the bowl. Use a large flat blade screwdriver & it should come out.

When was the last time the carbs were cleaned??
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

clean carbs

Well, I bought the bike in October, and the guy said he had them cleaned at the beginning of last season. I took the Carb Rail off and the intake and Head sides look pretty darned clean. The Bowls look pretty clean too. The Head snapped off the screw but inside. there was a small nub of the screw attached to the head. No room to cut a slot in. I can get a used Bowl and a new screw for about $16 total plus shipping. I'd rather not pull the carbs completely apart and rebuild as I am still really new at al of this. I'm not all that comfortable. I'm thinking I might try to put the bowl and screw back on, and then see if that solves the problem. If not, I'll consider pulling everything apart and cleaning them. Just another day in paradise, I'm afraid... I don't want to have ALL of my fun at once! You know? LOL!

That thing that sucks is that the Bike was running like a top when I put it up... I think I might look at the petcock too. Just to be sure the diaphragm is still in good condition, cause that was not in any fuel, and I am wondering if it might have dried up some. Ugh!

Thanks for the advice. I may just end up following it in the end.

Comment

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from... as a minimum, you have to remove the bowl anyway to put a new one on, pull it off now & drain it, hopefully the bowl gasket will remain intact so you can just reinstall. If it doesn't leak it's essentially the same as putting a new one on.

While you have it off, see what you can do to get what's left of the plug out, I'm betting you can get it out & not have to buy a new one. Dremmel a slot into the end of the broken plug & use a heat gun while twisting it with a screw driver, Soak it with PB Blaster overnight before.

Hey, what do you have to lose, you have to remove it anyway to put a new one on.

Good luck,
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

It's alive!!!!

Ok, So I figured out the problem. It could have been a combination of the Float Bowls and the other things, but I put a new float bowl on and changed the Spark plugs. I think my problem was fouled plugs! I put new plugs in it, once i had the Carbs reinstalled and it started on the first try! Sounds Awesome! I had adjusted the Idle screw so I could get the Throttle cables back on, and it was idling really high, but I adjusted that and she's running like a champ!!!

Thanks for all of your help everyone! I really do appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                          X