Bike has trouble starting while hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike has trouble starting while hot

I have a 81 GS650G, When the bike has been riden for a while, I stop and shut it off. Then try to start it, it struggles. If I let it sit for about 30minutes, it starts fine. Any Ideas?? -- Thanks-- Brian

Ohh, I forgot the important part. When I said has trouble starting when hot, It seems to be the battery not having enough charge, but again If it sits for 30 min. The battery has more than enough power to start. Weird

Comment

Check all your electrical connections on the battery and between the battery and starter. Also your grounds. You have corrosion in there somewhere that is heating up and causing a high resistance.

Comment

Thanks Gary!! I will check it out tonight........

Comment

it could be that you need new brushes in the starter

Comment

several things can cause this problem.
            1= the electrical system is not charging the battery fully, check the voltage at the battery engine off, there should be 12.6-12.8volts for a fully charged battery,with it running it should show 13.5min to 14.5 volts at 5000RPM

2= the battery is bad, with the battery fully charged put a voltmeter across the battery and watch the voltage when you engage the starter, it should not drop below around 11.5volts with the starter spinning. (how old is the battery?) (this can also indicate a bad starter)

3= if the charging system checks out ok, the starter may be going out, as the brushes wear out they don't make as good contact as they should and the starter doesn't make as much power as it should,the starter has to produce more power to start the engine when the engine is very cold and hot
            do as Gerry suggested and check all the cables and connections including the ground at the back of the engine.

Comment

Working...
            X