why does this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why does this happen?

my 77 750 has a stutter at about 7000 rpms. When i crank on the throttle its all good screaming wide open, then when it hits about the 7 zone it hesitates and doesn't want to go higher. Any ideas on what is causing this? Thanks.

Ignition or the main jet is too small.
    Does it surge or pop when hitting the wall?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
      my 77 750 has a stutter at about 7000 rpms. When i crank on the throttle its all good screaming wide open, then when it hits about the 7 zone it hesitates and doesn't want to go higher. Any ideas on what is causing this? Thanks.
      That's a lot 7s maybe it's a bad luck thing.
      Hondas
      '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
      Suzuki
      '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
      Kaw
      '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

its more of a surge and it hesitates. and throughout all other rpm ranges its fine, just when it gets up to about 7 it does this. This is alot of sevens by the way

Comment

My first guess is the valves need to be checked/adjusted.
          2nd guess is ignition timing.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I had the same problem but went away after I redid my carbs the right way and with o-rings on intake boots and in carbs.

good luck
            Jake

Comment

I had this problem on a bike when the points were not opening up far enough. Have you checked them?
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
                I had the same problem but went away after I redid my carbs the right way and with o-rings on intake boots and in carbs.

good luck
                Jake
                Yep my intake boots were torn, fixed them and problem is gone, and it pulls harder than chuck norris.

Comment

i just adjusted my valves, but havent tuned the carbs after the adjustment except for the idle as they seemed fine, until high rpms that is. I havent checked my points in a little over a year.

Comment

i just adjusted my valves, but havent tuned the carbs after the adjustment except for the idle as they seemed fine, until high rpms that is. I havent checked my points in a little over a year.
                    Then, the first thing I would check is the condition of the points surfaces, gap, and timing.
                    Set the point gaps to 14 thou at their widest and set the timing with a strobe timing light.
                    Check the timing twice, once for the left side point set using the 1 or 4 plug and then the right side point set using the 2 or 3 plug.

Earl
                    Last edited by earlfor; 04-12-2009, 01:07 PM.
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

thanks for your help everyone

Comment

so i checked my points the other day and they are fine, i never mentioned in the thread that i jetted it have a 4-1 and have pods, my main jets are 110's i'm thinkin i need to try putting 115's in as the same surging happens right at about 7000 when the mains should be kickin in anyway. I want to fix this problem as the 1000 motor probably isn't going to go in until a real rainy week or its cold.

Comment

so i checked my points the other day and they are fine, i never mentioned in the thread that i jetted it have a 4-1 and have pods, my main jets are 110's i'm thinkin i need to try putting 115's in as the same surging happens right at about 7000 when the mains should be kickin in anyway. I want to fix this problem as the 1000 motor probably isn't going to go in until a real rainy week or its cold.
                          Those mains are way too small.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Those mains are way too small.
                            Yah...

Some guys say they're running fine with a pipe and pods at 115...I had 115s in my 77 750, wouldnt pull worth a crap above 7K...125s or 127.5s are where I suggest you go...Needle in the 2nd clip from the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                            X