Help my GS650GL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waterman View Post
    The main jets in both of my stock 650g are 110, I am pretty sure they are the same for the early 81 and 82 gl models. The 83 gl dropped to a 107.5 main jet.

I am currently getting low 40s mpg, this is mostly commuting to work, lot of stop and go. Below 30 is really cause for concern. Most likely set up richer than necessary or some fuel leak issue.

Yeah i buggered that up sorry mate, stock is #110...

Hmmm i wonder why the 83 GL dropped jet size may have to look into that

If you are running stock jets mate you shouldnt have an issue...

Take your air filter out and run it for a week without it... (or through a tank of gas) see what kind of mileage you get...

Could be grubby as, also check your intake boots between carb and head, i thought mine were fine until one ripped in half yesterday when i was taking the carbs off!!!

You done the plugs lately?

Is she running on all 4? (touch the exhause pipes soon after fire up)

I'll have a think eh and let ya know if i think of anything else

Skid.

Comment

You can do this on a budget!

Keep the faith my friend! I am mechanically inclined, but engines were never my thing. I bought a $100.00 bike and have spent another $300 and with my own labor I have a terrific bike. This website has been a godsend. Bikecliff's information has been invaluable. I even rebuilt my carbs and bench set them. A great experience that I was really leary about when I started, but now I am glad I chose to accept the challenge. Good luck and have fun riding. You can do it on a budget and some basic tools.

Comment

Ledinthehead, I'm curious where you live. There may by chance be someone on here that lives near you that may be able to help. I'm in Lincoln Nebr. and have a big garage and tools that I'd be more than happy to offer up to anyone in the area if they need to use is. Kendall

Comment

I bought a gs 650 a few months ago also. I am no mechanic but I am learning alot from the forum. I changed the jets in my carbs a couple of hours ago back to stock. One month ago I could not tell you where a jet was located, or what it looked like. I am fixing to have to rebuild mine but I am going for it. Anyway long story short, with the help from the forum anything is possible.

Comment

I live in Champaign, IL. I sort of lost my job and can't afford to do any work on the bike right now anyway.

Comment

I WISH that the 83's had the 110's. Me tinks that a 107 is a bit smallish. Set perfect and EVERYTHING tight and sealed and then maybe.........

Comment

Hi Mr. Ledinthehead,

I'm sure theres a lot you can do that costs little or nothing. I'm also sure there are a few GS members in your area who may be able to help. What's the condition of the bike now? Symptoms? Have you done anything to it lately?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X