Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help my GS650GL!

Hey GS lovers,

I bought my 82' 650GL last spring around this time, and it rode fine. I didn't have any problems with it all spring or summer or fall. But someone was nice enough to knock it over, twice (I live in between 6 college dorms and all the campus bars) while it was in hibernation in our side lot. Now the handle bars are bent and I need to replace them. I sit 6'3 and the stock bars are a little narrow, almost too narrow for me to comfortable ride. I want to replace them with something wider and if possible with a little more rise. I don't have a garage and I don't have a lot of know how so I can't really re-run any cables. I need something that will just require me to bolt everything back on. I searched the forums and found a couple of posts about superbike bars, but I need a specific location or serial number. I'm pretty lost here. Also I'm on a really tight budget. I went to the parts shop I used last time and they didn't have anything for less that $125 and they would have to order it, costing me even more.

Also, I could use some advice on getting my bike ready to run for the year again. I've got a full tank and it started just fine and all the fluids seemed fine. Do I need to change the oil? If so, how? Do I need to take it in for a tune up? How much will that cost me?

One more question. I read that my bike is supposed to get around 45mpg but all summer (I rode it across campus to my internship every day) I only got 26mpg at best averaging 22mpg. Is this just a symptom of old age? The way I rode it didn't seem to make much difference. Some weeks I would try running it at a higher RPM and lower gear, the next vice versa. I tried riding it hard and really pushing it and I tried babying it. In the fall when I only rode it a few times a week it didn't do any better. I once took it out on the interstate for the hell of it and had to turn around at the first town only a few miles out because I was running out of gas so quickly.

Thank you in advance for your advice to a newbie rider. The faster and cheaper I can get back on the road the better. The weather here in Champaign, IL just got nice enough to ride and I just started dating this cute blonde and I would love to take her for a ride.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2009, 12:34 AM.

Can't help with ya other stuff but mine guzzles the gas as well... only getting about 120 miles before reserve.

Comment

I get about 65-70 so I am concerned something is wrong. I think it should get around 150 miles per tank.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. LedintheHead,

Superbike bars and Daytona bars seem the be the most popular around here. They cost around $20 online. Factory maintenance schedules say change the engine oil every 2000 miles. Change the final drive gear oil every 7500 miles. Check and adjust the valve clearances every 4000 miles. Clean carbs, clean filters, properly maintaned brakes, fresh tires, proper attire, etc. It's all necessary for safe operation of a motorcycle.

There are certain maintenance tasks that must be undertaken in order for these classic bikes to remain reliable. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts or silver bullets and they cost money. Get a manual from my site and look over all of the information in the links below. Pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues". Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Check the air filter, foam ? maybe over oiled. Choke partly on ?
          Carb sync ? Low compression. I would start with a compression test and a valve adjustment..

Comment

Air filter is clean, choke is off as soon as it can run without it. I don't know about the carbs. The guy I bought it from said he had rebuilt the carbs and had the valves timed a few months before I bought it. I don't really know what a compression test is. I suppose I could take it in and ask for some estimates. Once I get some handle bars on it that is.

Comment

Originally posted by LedintheHead View Post
              Air filter is clean, choke is off as soon as it can run without it. I don't know about the carbs. The guy I bought it from said he had rebuilt the carbs and had the valves timed a few months before I bought it. I don't really know what a compression test is. I suppose I could take it in and ask for some estimates. Once I get some handle bars on it that is.

Take the carbs off.... take the drain bolts out of the bowls...

You can then look down and see what size main jets it has... they should be #100...

Comment

what exactly is the purpose of that? What do I do if they aren't #100? I know where the carbs are but am I going to have to take the tank off to get them off?

Comment

what exactly is the purpose of that? What do I do if they aren't #100? I know where the carbs are but am I going to have to take the tank off to get them off?
                  You have much to learn grasshopper....

First, if you like this bike, and enjoy riding it, go ahead and prepare yourself for the idea that you are going to have to become a motorcycle mechanic on some level. 95% of motorcycle shops won't even talk to you or work on it. Many have a rule they won't touch any bike over 10 years old. Their reasoning being that they are more trouble than they are worth (they don't want to have to fix the bolt they snapped off trying to remove it for the first time in 25 years).

After you wrap your head around that, look at the "in the garage" section at the carb cleaning series. Yours are probably due.

Comment

Well, that's not exactly what I wanted to hear but at least I know now. I bought the bike with the intention of one day being able to do my own maintenance but the problem is right now being a college student living in a fraternity, I don't have a garage or lots of tools. I know my way around cars well enough, but since this is my first bike and there isn't anyone around to teach me I'm kinda learning as the problems come to me. Last fall I learned how to replace and adjust the clutch lever, easy enough.

Comment

Well, that's not exactly what I wanted to hear but at least I know now. I bought the bike with the intention of one day being able to do my own maintenance but the problem is right now being a college student living in a fraternity, I don't have a garage or lots of tools. I know my way around cars well enough, but since this is my first bike and there isn't anyone around to teach me I'm kinda learning as the problems come to me. Last fall I learned how to replace and adjust the clutch lever, easy enough.
                      Between this board and basscliff's site there are good step by steps on almost everything, and a few tools will suffice at first. I did the first 6 months of repairs on mine (cleaned carbs, fixed some wiring, and several other tasks) in my gravel driveway before I lived where I had a garage.

Comment

Welcome to the 650 club!

A few comments/thoughts....

- Get a manual (Clymers) or download from BassCliff's site the PDF tech manual. Buying one is about $20. The other is free.

- Oil: If you don't know when it was last changed, I'd change it. Plus, I like to change it to fresh at the start of the season so I'm good to go. Its easy (and cheap!) to do yourself. Get some 10W40 oil. In my experience there are 2 ways to change the oil. Using the proper oil drain plug under the bike, or the lazy way of letting as much will drain out of the oil filter cover (likely does NOT get more than 90% of it out, but if the drain plug is stripped or tools to access it (gotta reach in/around/through the pipes) IMO it's better than nothing. Oil filter is probably less than $10. Can't remember exactly. Be careful with the little nuts that hold the oil filter cap in place (this is the round circle behind the front wheel right in the middle of the pips. The filter is spring loaded so best to use one hand to push back against the filter cover until you get all 3 nuts off. Poor man's oil pan = 1 gallon milk jug with the top cut off...then just dump that into another 1 gallon jug and take it to be recycled. (FYI, a cut off 2L soda bottle top makes a handy funnel too! -- I remember, you're in college so such tools are cheap and readily available!).

- mileage: I get about 135miles from a tank of gas. That's with a lot of highway riding at 55-70mph. If mileage as low, you might try running a tank of gas through with some sea foam or fuel system/carb cleaner added to it. If it works, great, no mechanical steps required. If not, your out another 3-5 bucks. On start up, feel that all 4 pipes warm up. Maybe you're only running on 3 cylinders or something. If all 4 are correct, then post another quesion specific to the mileage question so you don't get multi-part answers like mine!

Comment

Hi Mr. LeadintheHead,

I know what it's like being a broke college student. If it weren't for financial aid I would have starved. I had a motorcycle in college (late 70's) and learned how to change the oil, maintain and replace pretty much everything on it, even the piston rings. It was my only transportation. There is plenty of research material starting on the GSR Homepage ("In The Garage", "Carb Rebuild Series", old "Q&A archives", etc) and on my little BikeCliff website, which has links to even more resources. Read up, roll up your sleeves, and ask questions here when you need advice or clarification. This community has pretty much taught me everything I know about wrenching on these classic Suzuki bikes. They're good people.

Even if you're just going to ride this bike for a few years then dump it, you'll have to put forth a little money and effort for minimal maintenance. If you're going to keep this bike for a long time, it will pretty much last forever if you maintain it properly. But it's an old bike and there are probably lots of little things that need attention. Take your time, one project at a time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I think that you answered the fuel consumption problem when your wrote that the previous owner had rebuilt the carbs. Why did he rebuild them? There was a problem! Lots of little things can be messed up when removing carbs, taking them apart, cleaning them, and reinstalling them. Old, hard rubber pieces can fail. Hoses can be installed incorrectly. There is a strong chance that they weren't adjusted or synchronized properly. Try the previous suggestion of Sea Foam. If that doesn't do it, use the references already given for carb rebuild, and come back here as needed for particular advice.

You can buy serviceable tools from Harbor Freight at very low prices.
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by skidMarkNZ View Post
                              Take the carbs off.... take the drain bolts out of the bowls...

You can then look down and see what size main jets it has... they should be #100...
                              The main jets in both of my stock 650g are 110, I am pretty sure they are the same for the early 81 and 82 gl models. The 83 gl dropped to a 107.5 main jet.

I am currently getting low 40s mpg, this is mostly commuting to work, lot of stop and go. Below 30 is really cause for concern. Most likely set up richer than necessary or some fuel leak issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X