Exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust question

So I have a Honda CB550F supersport with the stock 4-1 and where the muffler connects to the header it is not connected because of rust and bad maintenance(from PO). What can I do. I had a guy from church(experianced welder) and he said it is to thin to be welded. completly back togeather.

I need to reattach it and I most deffinatly dont have the money to buy a new 4-1 cause i found them for around 300 so not worth my money seeing as how im just gunna sell it.

My idea:
    I am heading up to Fargo to see family for Easter and my uncle is an even more experianced welder than the church guy. is there a way to maybe add a peace of metal around the detached part and just tach weld it in for the most part? then put omse exhaust wrap around the whole system. becasue they are pretty rusty around the headers too.

Would this work?

Thank you
    Jake

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
    So I have a Honda CB550F supersport with the stock 4-1 and where the muffler connects to the header it is not connected because of rust and bad maintenance(from PO). What can I do. I had a guy from church(experianced welder) and he said it is to thin to be welded. completly back togeather.

I need to reattach it and I most deffinatly dont have the money to buy a new 4-1 cause i found them for around 300 so not worth my money seeing as how im just gunna sell it.

My idea:
    I am heading up to Fargo to see family for Easter and my uncle is an even more experianced welder than the church guy. is there a way to maybe add a peace of metal around the detached part and just tach weld it in for the most part? then put omse exhaust wrap around the whole system. becasue they are pretty rusty around the headers too.

Would this work?

Thank you
    Jake
    As long as there is enough sound metal to weld up no reason it shouldn't. How close to the downtubes is the metal shot? Maybe hit a muffler shop and see if you can pick up a scrap of tailpipe the right size to weld on if the metal closer to the downtubes is solid.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2009, 11:50 AM. Reason: Punctuation, spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      As long as there is enough sound metal to weld up no reason it shouldn't, How close to the downtubes is the meatal shot? Maybe hit a muffler shop and see if you can pick up a scrap of tailpipe the right size to weld on if the metal closer to the downtubes is solid.
      it is right where the pipe goes from 4 into the 1 big pipe and expands to the muffler. I think I have a pic.

so right where the pipe gets bigger and goes up to the muffler.

Thank you
      Jake

Comment

You try ebay for a used pipe?
        Bike wreckers?

Honduh forum?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That's a pretty common area for headers to rust since it's in a low point where condensation can collect.

If you only have a couple hundred miles to go, maybe some epoxy (or JD weld) will hold it until you get there. It's not a particulary hot spot and if the epoxy gives - so what, it's just a little loud (wear earplugs).

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
            That's a pretty common area for headers to rust since it's in a low point where condensation can collect.

If you only have a couple hundred miles to go, maybe some epoxy (or JD weld) will hold it until you get there. It's not a particulary hot spot and if the epoxy gives - so what, it's just a little loud (wear earplugs).
            well like I said I am taking the exhaust up to fargo with me. it is totally detached from muffler and JD would not hold

and I dont care about the noise but like I said I am selling it so the noise is gunna make it less desirable.

The rust is more up on the header where you screw it into the engine.

Jake

Comment

well like I said I am taking the exhaust up to fargo with me. it is totally detached from muffler and JD would not hold

and I dont care about the noise but like I said I am selling it so the noise is gunna make it less desirable.

The rust is more up on the header where you screw it into the engine.

Jake
              Ah, I thought it was just one pipe that was rusted through. Nope, you can't expoxy the cannister on.

Without seeing exactly what the problem is it's hard to tell what you can do. It seems to me, however, if the cannister/collector is detached you should be able to cut back the rust and reattach with welds.

Comment

Another option is to insert a sleeve into each end then wrap it up with hi-temp tape and dart to Fargo for more permanent repairs.

Comment

Ah, I thought it was just one pipe that was rusted through. Nope, you can't expoxy the cannister on.

Without seeing exactly what the problem is it's hard to tell what you can do. It seems to me, however, if the cannister/collector is detached you should be able to cut back the rust and reattach with welds.
                  Thats what I thought but, I guess not according to this guy from church. so we'll see what my uncle says. I am hoping for the best. I wish I had a better pic of the exhaust. I will take before and after pics this weekend up in Fargo.

Jake

Comment

Thats what I thought but, I guess not according to this guy from church. so we'll see what my uncle says. I am hoping for the best. I wish I had a better pic of the exhaust. I will take before and after pics this weekend up in Fargo.

Jake
                    It's probably due to the welder he's using. If it's stick then yea, he can't weld stuff that thin. Find someone with a wire feed and they should be able to do it.

Comment

It's probably due to the welder he's using. If it's stick then yea, he can't weld stuff that thin. Find someone with a wire feed and they should be able to do it.
                      im hoping my uncle has a wire feed one. yeah I dont know what the guy said he had I bet it is a Stick tho cause he owns a bank vault install business.

Jake

Comment

im hoping my uncle has a wire feed one. yeah I dont know what the guy said he had I bet it is a Stick tho cause he owns a bank vault install business.

Jake
                        He's not using wire feed to do bank vaults!

Go to a muffler shop. They have wire feed and shouldn't charge too much if you trim back the rust and get it prepped for welding.

I have a wire feed and would be happy to do it for you if you just make a detour about 500 miles south. Har har.

Comment

He's not using wire feed to do bank vaults!

Go to a muffler shop. They have wire feed and shouldn't charge too much if you trim back the rust and get it prepped for welding.

I have a wire feed and would be happy to do it for you if you just make a detour about 500 miles south. Har har.
                          well I think you more like 1100 miles south west but yeah I would love to.......jk any who yeah I just called my uncle and he said yeah he's got a wire feed. so great now im excited.

Thank you guys
                          Jake

Comment

Working...
                          X