Destroyed 5th starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destroyed 5th starter clutch

I've been living with a rattle for a while now.
    I took off the cover last night and found a sharp flat chunk of metal laying on the bottom off the case underneath the large gear.
    I pulled the rotor a found one snapped allen bolt, two loose ones, a dowel pin hole widened by rattling around , and two pieces of gear.

The gear pieces were not the teeth, but the inner flat face of the gear.
    I fished the broken bolt out with a ectendo magnet through one of the lower galleries.

The clutch must have loosened enough to allow the bolt head to escape it's captured position.
    Amazing really! Probably what damaged the gear.

The big bore kit installed has caused nothing but problems with the starter clutch.
    I guess I need to do the kill switch mod to allow the starter button to turn the motor over, while flipping the kill switch to fire the coils.

Also my starter motor teeth have been filed smooth by all the snatching.
    The thing still started regardless of all the damage above, although I had to steal my wife's starter motor out of her 1150.

I'm going to bump start it this morning to see if the rattle is now gone.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Carter, you seem to be a slow learner. How LONG ago did I tell you how to set your bike up to stop this problem? I don't intend to sound mean but you could have fixed this problem nearly PERMANENTLY if you had listened to me when we first talked. There are NOT that many big left end starter clutches & rotors still left in the world so PLEASE stop trying to use them all up all by yourself! Ray.

Comment

Ray, you told me how do it, but I didn't understand exactly which wire I was to splice where, so I never did it.

The bike sounds great now at idle. Maybe I'll have to do the Lemans start from now on since there's limited supply of starter clutches out there.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
        Ray, you told me how do it, but I didn't understand exactly which wire I was to splice where, so I never did it.
        Did you ask for clarification?

Most of us on the board are willing to help those who truly want to learn.

If you feel it's not worthy of a post on the board, use the PM feature and do it privately.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

errrrrr.....

I seem to recall a thread on this subject.....hmm let me see

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

As described to me Option #1 is Ray's mod.

Option #2 is my modification that retains on off functionality of the ignition key and the on switch.

You can ignore #3 and #4; #3 did not work and #4 is too complicated to be of any benefit. Both were an attempt to automate the timing of the starter switch with the on switch.

Jim
          Last edited by posplayr; 04-11-2009, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Posplayr,

Thanks for the link to that thread. My computer is not showing the pictures, so I might be able to see them with the other computer upstairs.

I now need to find a new starter clutch as the large gear was damaged. I just bought this starter clutch less than 6 months ago, but they failed to send me a 35mm ID large gear, so I used my old one. The rollers look like 60 grit sandpaper.

Maybe I can try the mod on my wife's 1150.

Can I use the same small harness coming from the starter button housing to do all my splicing and plug that into the main harness?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Carter

The file that was linked is a pdf file. If you can read it then you might need a download from Adobe; see below.

Note: Adobe PDF reader is required to look at the link. Let me know if this
              causes difficulties; this is a pretty common media for file sharing.

Download free Adobe Acrobat Reader software for your Windows, Mac OS and Android devices to view, print, and comment on PDF documents.

Current ride is an 83 Katana
              I assume that is the 16V 1100. I'm not that familiar with Kat's but the 83 1100ED starter clutch assembly is about $95 from Flatout I just buy the complete thing rather than mess with mixing old and new. I have a clutch that looks very nice but will not grab at all. There is a pretty tight tolerance for wear of no more than about 0.050 and the clutch will not operate.

I thought there were pics of the #2 option mod. It is all contained in the starter switch no need to go into the headlamp bucket.

I think I found the issue; I apparently deleted some of the pictures a while back to make room. I restored them here. Is that what u were looking for?

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Pos
              Last edited by posplayr; 04-12-2009, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Posplayr,

Not seeing any photos on that last link you posted. Its amazing how quiet my bike is without the starter clutch in. My 83 Kat has an 84 1150 engine bored to 1229, so I don't know if the 83 1100 starter clutch is the same. The last one I ordered from Temecula Motorsport for an 84 1150 came with the wrong gear. A 31mm instead of a 35mm.

Comment

Carter, the 1150 & 83 1100 both are big left end cranks & use the same rotor & starter clutch. Hope this helps. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X