450L chain issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450L chain issues

I just bought a really nice ’86 450L for my wife to learn to ride on and I’m having an issue with the drive chain I would like some advice on. I haven’t had to deal with chains for years because my last few bikes have been shaft driven.

I was watching her practice in the parking lot the other day and I noticed that the chain seemed to “flop” quite a bit at times like it was loose. I checked it and the slack was well within specs…about an inch.

This week I took the back wheel off for a new tire and I was having a heck of a time getting everything aligned when I got it back on. I’ve owned chain driven bikes in the past and it was always easy to get the right and left adjusters in sync. Just check a couple of measurements and everything was good to go. But this was driving me crazy because I couldn’t get the slack set correctly. The chain would go loose and then tighten as I rotated the rear tire. I took everything apart to make sure the axle and sprockets were true…no problems with those and they look almost new. Everything looked and measured out perfect so what gives?

Then I noticed something. The chain has two master links. I had noticed one before when I was checking the slack. But the main thing I noticed was that the chain got tighter when either master link was on the rear sprocket. I rotated the tire several times to verify and yes that is what was happening. I looked closely at both links and they didn’t look any different from the other links as far as size or anything like that.

My question is has anyone had this problem before with master links? Or am I missing something else? I’ve replaced chains and sprockets before but always bought a continuous chain or riveted a regular link in place. I used to have a rivet/breaker tool back in the day but gave it away a few years ago because I thought I would never need it. I wish I still had it because I would replace those master links with regular links. I’m not sure I trust them.

Chains

It sounds to me like you've got pieces from 2 different chains and one of them is probably more worn out than the other. I think clip type master links are perfectly fine but, in your case, I'd suggest you spring for a new chain and be done with it. I'd check the rear hub cushion, too.

A chain problem can cause a catastrophic event when you're cruising down the road...and you don't want to take a chance on that!
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 04-10-2009, 02:37 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

What Chuck said sounds right. Alignment shouldn't cause tight and loose spots. Either a kinked chain, out of round sprockets, or both.

Comment

I'm definitely leaning toward the new chain route. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Hi Mr. SirLancealot,

If you don't mind a few words from another "shafty"...

How many miles on the chain and sprockets? It may be time for new ones, always replacing both sprockets and the chain as a set. The links in the chain don't wear evenly.

Try the links below for chain and wheel alignment tips. They talk about the "string method".

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Sus...tml#Suspension

Mr. Matchless uses a laser to align his wheels.

Motorcycle wheel alignment.pdf

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2009, 06:03 PM.

Comment

your chain is bad, when the chain go loos and tight its worn out. you need to buy a chain and sprocket kit. if it not already converted to a 530 chain and sprocket i would do that to.

Painter

1982 GS750TZ

Comment

Your chain and sprockets are worn out. You need new. As far as I know, all GS 450's are stock with #530 size chain.

Earl
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

New chain and sprockets are on order. The chain is a 530.

Comment

O-Ring Chain

Spend the extra coin for a good quality O-Ring chain. They require less maintenance, and last at least twice as long.

Comment

Originally posted by kyscootertrash View Post
                    Spend the extra coin for a good quality O-Ring chain. They require less maintenance, and last at least twice as long.
                    I wouldn't consider anything else!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                      It sounds to me like you've got pieces from 2 different chains and one of them is probably more worn out than the other. I think clip type master links are perfectly fine but, in your case, I'd suggest you spring for a new chain and be done with it. I'd check the rear hub cushion, too.

A chain problem can cause a catastrophic event when you're cruising down the road...and you don't want to take a chance on that!
                      The rear hub cushion looks ok but do you think I should replace it anyway while I've got the wheel off? I'm sure it's the original because the PO never mentioned getting a new one and he had the bike since '93. I'm also thinking it's a good idea to replace the three two hole washers on the rear sprocket. Any other wear items I should replace while I've got it apart? The rear drums and shoes are fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X