Engine removal - lay it over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine removal - lay it over?

So I'm stripping the Kat down to the frame. As it sits now I have it stripped of everything except the suspension and engine. Should I go with the regular engine removal process, or should I block it up, remove the swingarm and forks, then gently lay the engine/frame on it's side (onto padding) and lift the frame away?

On its side.... but it will only come out to the right because there is a welded mount on the bottom cradle rail on the left.... the right is a bolt on plate....

I have taken them out with bike upright and its a bastard....and took some of the paint off my freshly painted frame too when i put it back in!!!... sideways is the way to go i'm told.

Comment

I just removed and replaced the motor from my 1100E. Did it w/ the help of a friend. HEAVY! The side option sounds easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank.SD View Post
        I just removed and replaced the motor from my 1100E. Did it w/ the help of a friend. HEAVY! The side option sounds easier.

Had a supposedly strong friend helping me lift mine back in and even with the frame all wrapped in cloth it still got buggered...lay it on its side people!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by skidMarkNZ View Post
          Had a supposedly strong friend helping me lift mine back in and even with the frame all wrapped in cloth it still got buggered...lay it on its side people!!!!!
          I'm kinda used to the CB Honda's - they have a removable frame section that makes the job a little easier (of course the removable section also allows the frame to flex).

I think I'll support the frame, remove the forks, triple, swingarm, wheels then lower the bike onto some padding and (with the aid of a friend) roll it onto it's RH side.

Comment

I did the lay the bike over when removing the engine on my 1000. My back has been though the wars and I didn't feel like adding any more stress.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

When I did it I just laid the frame and suspension down with the wheels on. Made it pretty easy to lay down by myself.

/\/\ac

Comment

My opinion: if you're on your own, lying it on its side is easiest. If you've got a mate to help you, lifting out straight is easiest.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I'll be doing this soon enough. I plan on pulling the topend to lighten things up then see if I can pull the bottom end out of the frame myself. If I need help it should be a simple task for two. I think I'll be able to handle it myself though.

Comment

There's an even easier way. I used the following method and had my ~200 pound 1000 engine out by myself in about 10 minutes.

1. With the front and rear suspension still installed on the bike, secure the bike on either the center stand or a paddock stand. If you have a front stand, use it. Remove the cam breather cover for more clearance.

2. Stack a few short lengths of 2x4 or 1" PVC pipe on a floor jack or motorcycle jack, then roll the jack under the motor. The 2x4s will act as spacers so the motor will be lifted independently from the frame. Raise the jack, and with the 2x4s or PVC pipe in contact with the motor, undo the motor mounts and bolts so that the engine is now resting on the jack. Jack the motor up until the cam cover almost touches the frame, then wheel the jack out till you can rest the motor on the bottom right side frame rail. Carefully balance the motor on that lower frame rail or have a friend help you do the same. Then lower the jack and repeat the process with the jack on the outside of the frame, lifting it free from the frame and then wheeling it away.

Comment

That method works really sweet!!

I used it on a GS450SX today!
                      Thanks!

Comment

My wife and I just lifted the 1100 motor out of the dragbike two years ago....piece of cake...
                        Of course it is lighter than stock with no starter, stator or starter clutch...

She wasn't around when I put it back in...no biggie...lift and shift.
                        And I was a scrawny, out of shape, 51 year old dude back then...
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                        X