petcock switch is hard to turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock switch is hard to turn

My petcock switch seems very hard to turn, when riding the bike I have to keep it on choke to keep it running, and it backfires and dies sometimes. I had the carbs cleaned, it wouldnt run at all before that.
    Is the petcock switch supposed to be hard to turn? If not whats the easiest way to fix the problem? I did some research on the boards but couldnt find anything identical to my problem. There is no unusual fuel leakage from the carbs or anything. It Idles way up and way down upon ignition.

Sounds like your still having some serious fuel/air delivery problems ... the petcock should be stiff, but not "hard" to turn. You can remove the petcock from the tank and take it apart and clean it (carefully) - make sure the vacuum diaphragm is in good condition and re-assemble.

You need to make sure that you have sufficient fuel being delivered to the carbs and that the carbs are holding enough fuel (float level) to keep you running at all rpms. Make sure you don't have any air getting in anywhere other than through the airbox (check for leakage around the intake manifolds and the boots on the airbox. Once all of that is complete you will need to synchronize your carbs.

I should have asked this first - what kind of bike are we talking about?? 8)

Comment

1985 gs550L

Comment

Mine did the same thing.

Mine did the same thing till I balanced the carbs. Set your air screws out to 1 3/4 turns from the bottom, and ballance the carbs. Your main Idle may be off, but balancing the carbs should come first. The bike will run better, and you'll be able to find the right Idle setting afterwards. All this is asuming you have the air intake system all back on with no leaks.

Comment

I had a petcock that was basically impossible to turn (I gave up before it turned, because I was afraid of breaking something). I took the petcock apart, and found some filth clogging things up. I put it back together, and it's now good and tight, but a breeze compared to before.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by crwper
            I had a petcock that was basically impossible to turn (I gave up before it turned, because I was afraid of breaking something). I took the petcock apart, and found some filth clogging things up. I put it back together, and it's now good and tight, but a breeze compared to before.

Michael
            Michael, Thanks for the tip. My petcock is beginning to bind up. I'll have to give this a try. 8)
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

The petcock on my 1981 550L was getting very stiff. After rebuilding it the rotation is very smooth and easy. Mine was leaking, but if yours is only stiff taking it apart and cleaning should do it for you.

Comment

Working...
              X