Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS650G-387 Miles-Need Valves Adjusted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS650G-387 Miles-Need Valves Adjusted?

Hi Everybody!
    First post, be gentle...

The previous owner only put 387 miles on the bike before he stopped riding it. The mileage is accurate - he's a bit of an eccentric and likes to buy things and not use them.

I did a quickie carburetor rebuild along with most of the list below when I first started the project (foolish excitement). The bike ran intermittently, and only with choke. It would not idle. In my defense, I had not yet found this website. Now I know better and am doing the carburetors per the recommendations.

Here is where I am on this project:
    I have the last of the carburetor parts soaking (I'll get the o rings when my PayPal account gets activated).

No rust in the tank.

Petcock has been rebuilt.

New fuel, vacuum, and breather lines.

New OEM air cleaner in stock air box, new plugs.

New intake o rings - boots are still soft and pliable.

Regulator Rectifier has been replaced and is grounded to the frame and battery. Checked the charging voltage before I pulled the carburetors for the second time and it is within specifications.

Brake lines replaced with OEM - no money for braided stainless at this time. Calipers disassembled and cleaned, master cylinders cleaned out, flushed everything once new parts were installed. Pedal and brake lever feel firm.

Front and rear tires have been replaced even though they still had the little nibs on the tire walls - old rubber is, well, old.

Oil and filter have been changed. The rings managed to seat pretty well - compression is within specifications.

I have Dyna coils, wires, and Dyna S ignition for installation after I get the carburetors back on. I like to make only one change at a time so I can better track the cause and effect relationships of what I'm doing.

Question:
    The valves have never been adjusted. Do they need it? The valve train sounds seemed pretty typical for an air cooled overhead cam engine.

Any other recommendations for me to get this thing in good running order?

Thanks in advance.

If the mileage is correct the first scheduled adjustment happens at 600 miles.

Comment

I would change the oil and filter, if it has been sitting for that long with original oil. I dont know what happens to oil after ~28 years of sitting.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2009, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Cool!

Like Billy says, I wouldn't be concerned about valve adjustments at this time. It sounds like you've got yourself a very unique motorcycle...it must look just like new, right??

I wouldn't put anything on that bike that isn't stock, if it were me.
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

lmao probably after a bath if it's been sitting that long!

Comment

You'll probably just find a few tight valves when the time comes. Give it a few hundred more miles if you are sure the mileage is right. Valves normally get tighter rather than looser early in a bikes life.

Comment

Then only thing I would be concerned with it having that amount of miles is that one or two poor valve springs that have been sitting compressed all these years while all the other ones are probably like new. Other than that it sound like you have found a gem. You are already taking care of the carbs which is a big deal, along with the oil, and the misc rubber parts that just dont age very well. Post pics, we like pics around here.

good find, and welcome to the site...the guys on here are a wealth of information.

Basscliff should be by soon with your formal greeting...

Comment

Like to see some pics please

I'd love to see pics of something so original!

Comment

Sounds like you have done a first rate job of going through the bike and bringing all the mainenance up to date. Good work.

Regarding the bike, the stock Suzuki ignition parts are pretty good, no reason to go with the Dyna parts unless the stocker don't work. One other thing you might want to do is go though all the electrical connectors and hit them with Deoxit spray. It cleans the contacts and protects them from corrosion.

Good luck and welcome to the GSR.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Jeepeater,

Wow, talk about a low mileage find. Let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for all of the quick replies.

I'll post pics when I get the bike cleaned up. It is highly oxidized. I like to get them running before I clean them.

The gauges and mirrors still had the original factory plastic. I peeled it off to reveal shiny chrome and clear bezels.

Lucky find, indeed.

Thanks again.

Comment

"shiney chrome and clear bezels"........i'm jealous

I'd like him to take that governor advance cover off and see which direction that shaft seal is facing lol.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_17954 View Post
                          "shiney chrome and clear bezels"........i'm jealous

I'd like him to take that governor advance cover off and see which direction that shaft seal is facing lol.....

LOL!! That is too funny!!

Comment

always think'n I am...... lol. I did get my new seal ordered btw.

Comment

Who cares if its dirty, we can see through the dirt, just post some pic!

You are doing fine with this and just keep us posted. One thing that will help the bike in so many ways is just taking it for a long ride. It seems to me that bringing everything up to temperature and making parts do what thier supposed to makes a big difference.

Keep going and good luck!

Jim
                              GS Score Card
                              4-400 Series GS's
                              3-500 Series
                              1-600 Series
                              1-700 Series
                              4-800 Series
                              1-1000 Series
                              2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                              sigpic

Comment