To Gasket or Not To Gasket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Gasket or Not To Gasket...

I was watching a "How things are made" piece on the Discovery Channel and they were showing the assembly of Harley V-Twins at the factory. I was surprised that they mate the engine cases without a gasket, just some silicone-looking goop. Is this standard operating procedure in the industry now? Are the gasket-in-a-tube products so good now that gaskets aren't needed? My casing covers are coming off for polishing this year-need to know which way to go. Suggestions are more than welcome.

Manual says 'Suzuki Bond' for the cases. You can get non-drying gasket maker at any car parts store.

Comment

personally i use the black /or 1103 .depending on whats at hand.. ..preferr the black silcone.
      i stooped using gasskets. about 7 years ago..when a mechnic friend .told me its not nessarry..
      i agree with him now..

why cheep ,easy to remove,easy to deal with, and no worries of wasted money.. ill never go back .. except on big gaskets on the truck .. the thick ones.. (lowpressure.. )

Comment

so many engines now use little more than "liquid" gaskets on everything but the head gasket. if you use the right stuff there is little need for a gasket.
        my 1000G when it was parked in the garage the only thing not leaking on it was the clutch cover, and the clutch cover is the one thing that doesn't have a gasket. I used permatex ultra grey on it.

Comment

Just my opinion, if it was designed with a gasket, use a gasket. If not designed with a gasket, as the engine cases, don't use a gasket
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            Just my opinion, if it was designed with a gasket, use a gasket. If not designed with a gasket, as the engine cases, don't use a gasket
            true! the thickness of the gaskets can cause clearance problems when not using them. IE starter idler gear.

Comment

All the gasket surfaces have specific needs, so do what the manual says and don't try to second guess. The case halves form a precise, continuous seal that holds moderate pressure inside, so Yamabond sealant was formulated for that. Side covers, such as clutch and stator cover, cut across the case-mating line, so paper gaskets are needed to fill that gap. Base gaskets are thin for moderate pressure retention and to keep the cylinders true. Head gaskets are very strong to retain the combustion pressures. Valve cover gaskets need to fill in gaps at the half moon junction. If you study the joint, you will see that the stock gasket is the solution.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2009, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Well said Don-Lo

Comment

I just did my jeep and wifes caravan tranny fluids because both of them were leaking because I did the goop...they both have gaskets and don't leak. I like Gaskets.

Comment

Thanks Paco. Not that most people haven't tried it . I still have nightmares of a squiggly orange RTV creature coming out of the motor .......

Comment

Permatex 97 seems to work well and matches the original stuff.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                        I still have nightmares of a squiggly orange RTV creature coming out of the motor .......
                        Like this?

Comment

Yeah, you got it

Comment

Working...
                          X