Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems Splitting Crankcase

Alright guys, I need help!!!!

I have an '83 GS850GL. I have to replace the bevel gear housing and have torn the bike down to the crankcase. I have remove all the bolts and hit the case with a rubber hammer. The case split and I can get it apart about 1/4 to 1/2 inch but it won't split any farther. It seems as though the secondary drive (back) side is completely free, but something on the crankcase (front) side is catching. I have removed the pisotn heads and am not sure why the case won't completely separate.

I wasn't able to find anything on previous postings either.

Any suggestions?

Is your cam chain holding you up? If you can see a gap all the way around where the cases seal there shouldn't be any bolts in the way.

Comment

Make sure your timing chain is not catching...other than that, you may have a rusted up alignment dowel.

Comment

Use the jacking points to gradually open the crankcase halves from each other. Do not use too much force. Do it gradually, a bit on the two front ones and then a little on the rear one.

Comment

Did you remove the clutch basket to get to the plate that's bolted to the upper and lower case and is the starter remove to get to the bolts under it ??
          Last edited by RacingJake; 04-13-2009, 06:33 PM.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Duhhhhh

OK, I feel like a complete moron. I was trying to split the case without removing the whole motor from the bike. For those who try this....remember to remove the upper motor mounts from the frame. The top half of the crankcase will catch on the mounts if you don't take them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Motor Hack View Post
              OK, I feel like a complete moron. I was trying to split the case without removing the whole motor from the bike. For those who try this....remember to remove the upper motor mounts from the frame. The top half of the crankcase will catch on the mounts if you don't take them off.
              Ya' live and ya' learn. Thanks for the follow up post to tell us what the problem was. Far too often we never hear back.

Comment

Working...
              X