Oil leak, cam chain galley at head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak, cam chain galley at head gasket

So after about 3X the money and 10X the time I had figured to get my 1100E project rolling.. it is rolling. Runs like a top, but I have a pretty significant oil leak at the head gasket, right in the center in front of the cam chain galley. Its pretty messy after only 20 miles... and if I can get my confidence up in this bike we're doing an SS1000 in June... so I can't let it go.

Is there any hope in retorquing, or is it out w/ the motor and off w/ her head?

I already had the motor out once to drill out 4 broken exhaust bolts.. guess I'll be fast at it this time...

Then of course at that point I might as well re-ring and hone the ol' girl. 20,400 miles.

Is this a new head gasket?

If its new then they recommend a retorque after allow it to get to
    full temp and then letting it cool overnight.

If its an old gasket, it probably won't help.

Comment

I'd guess it's original... 27 yr old.

Comment

This bike sure makes me appreciate simplicity. From the time I rolled into my garage to the time the motor was on my bench - about an hour - and I was in no rush.

It takes me nearly 2.5 hrs to do a complete oil change on my KTM.

Comment

Try new o-rings on the head bolts on #1 & 3 studs first.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Also try some thread sealer on the little bolts located outside the 1&4 spark plugs and the center front.
            Try a retourque but chances are you need a new head gasket and at the same time a base gasket.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I went ahead and pulled the motor. I should have the head off tonight. I'll do all top end gaskets (base included) and I think new rings and a hone job while I'm at it, assuming everything is well in spec.

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake View Post
                Try new o-rings on the head bolts on #1 & 3 studs first.
                Do you mean copper washers, or are there o-rings somewhere around the head bolts somewhere?

Comment

O-Rings

The two head bolts in the center front have o-rings on the top of them. When the o-rings are bad, it looks just like a leaking head gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank.SD View Post
                    So after about 3X the money and 10X the time I had figured to get my 1100E project rolling.. it is rolling. Runs like a top, but I have a pretty significant oil leak at the head gasket, right in the center in front of the cam chain galley. Its pretty messy after only 20 miles... and if I can get my confidence up in this bike we're doing an SS1000 in June... so I can't let it go.

Is there any hope in retorquing, or is it out w/ the motor and off w/ her head?

I already had the motor out once to drill out 4 broken exhaust bolts.. guess I'll be fast at it this time...

Then of course at that point I might as well re-ring and hone the ol' girl. 20,400 miles.
                    Let me guess, you see oil dripping from the small 6mm inverted bolt right at the front of the engine? I have had the same exact oil weep ever since I owned my 1100. I can't seem to get rid of it. I have brand new OEM gaskets, o-rings, and that dam friggin' bolt is always moist with oil.

I also can't figure out why my stator cover gasket (also new) leaks oil on to my left boot whenever I do over 5000 rpms for an extended period of time (over 30 min.). I guess GS's simply are oil leaky bikes just like old Harleys.

Comment

Oil Leak

"I also can't figure out why my stator cover gasket (also new) leaks oil on to my left boot whenever I do over 5000 rpms for an extended period of time (over 30 min.). I guess GS's simply are oil leaky bikes just like old Harleys. "

Road Clam, I'll bet the oil on your foot is coming from the mystery hole under your starter. Most likely, oil is getting past the rubber grommet your stator wires go through, or the o-ring on the starter is bad. The oil works its way into the compartment where the starter is and leaks out of the drain under the starter. Just pull your starter cover and see if any oil is present.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post

I also can't figure out why my stator cover gasket (also new) leaks oil on to my left boot whenever I do over 5000 rpms for an extended period of time (over 30 min.). I guess GS's simply are oil leaky bikes just like old Harleys.
                        Mine don't leak, they are never below 5,000 except if stopped.
                        Get in there and fix something.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by kyscootertrash View Post
                          "I also can't figure out why my stator cover gasket (also new) leaks oil on to my left boot whenever I do over 5000 rpms for an extended period of time (over 30 min.). I guess GS's simply are oil leaky bikes just like old Harleys. "

Road Clam, I'll bet the oil on your foot is coming from the mystery hole under your starter. Most likely, oil is getting past the rubber grommet your stator wires go through, or the o-ring on the starter is bad. The oil works its way into the compartment where the starter is and leaks out of the drain under the starter. Just pull your starter cover and see if any oil is present.
                          Very interesting.....

I will have to purchase a 6pak, and research this further.... thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                            Very interesting.....

I will have to purchase a 6pak, and research this further.... thanks!
                            Seal the threads with Permatex thread sealer. This will stop it. I had the same problem.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                            X