gs 750 engine swap I need the opinions of GS readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 750 engine swap I need the opinions of GS readers

I have a 1979 GS750e that has "top end" engine problems and I am looking at a 1981 GS750L that has "bottom end" engine problems. Can I combine the good "ends" of these two engines? I believe the 1981 is a 4 valve head and I know my 1979 is a 2 valve.

Thanks for the help. :P

The short answer is no. The 750 motor was completely redesigned in 1980.

Comment

how about other parts from the '81.

Ok if the engine swap isn't possible, will the wheels, front and rear sprockets and chain from the '81 work on my '78 GS1000?

OR should I take the engine from my 1000 and put in the 81 750L frame?

Which frame type is more desirable and more comfortable to drive?

:P

Comment

will the wheels, front and rear sprockets and chain from the '81 work on my '78 GS1000?
        Wheels maybe. The stock rims on a 78 - 79 1000 are 19" front & 18" rear. Is the 1000 an L model? If so' the rear wheel is 17". The stock rims on an 81 750L are 19" front & 16" rear. What year is your 1000? Does it have spokes or mags? The front should work, the rear will require some measuring.
        Both bikes use 630 sprockets & chain. The front sprockets are different.
        Don't skimp here - Get new sprockets & chain. Your safety is too important.

Terry

Comment

more info on the 1000

The 1000 is a 1978 model GS1000 not an L or E just a GS1000. Its has spoke wheels.

It also had a nice vetter windjammer IV fairing on it until today. I dumped the 1000 on a gravel road. Cracked the fairing, bent the handle bars and right foot peg, got road rash on the engine cover and a little on the exhaust pipe. (The exhaust are some awful aftermarket turnouts, so that didn't hurt my feelings to much.) Oh yeah and a lot of road rash on me. Now I remeber why I will never ride while wearing shorts! I wish I was wearing a jacket, I would have saved some skin on my back. Anyway enough whining.

As far as the chain and sprockets go the are almost new, they have less than 200 miles on them.

Comment

Working...
          X