Throttle Tube aarrgghh I broke it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Tube aarrgghh I broke it

While I was replacing the windshield and the grips I managed to break off the throttle tube
    Now I spent most of the afternoon going around the area to find a throttle tube. Since there is no Suzuki dealer around here. I need an aftermarket part unless I want to drive an hour to get to a dealer.
    Anybody know of an aftermarket part number?

I'll bet they're pretty universal among GSes.

Check the Parts for Sale after you confirm some parts numbers
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You can always do the 'Yamaha conversion' and make riding more comfortable. It's a simple 'plug & play' type conversion that saves heaps of wristache.

Type 'Yamaha throttle tube' into the search box to see what I'm talking about.

Comment

A throttle tube out of just about anything would probably work. Any dirt bike shoppes around? Dirt riders break these things all the time.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have one.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Late model Yamaha R1 throdle tube. Quicker throdle

Comment

I've been doing a bit of research on the throttle mod and I plan on doing it myself. From what I can tell throttle tubes from both R1 and R6 Yamahas (model years 2004 and up) will work. The R6 tube is a bit quicker than the R1 and also may need a bit of "shaving" to fit.

The tubes are both "push/pull" type but that doesn't affect the install on our bikes.

For a stock tube, I'm not sure if they are still available but you could try a Suzuki dealer. Take yours in and see if it matches anything. I believe GSX-R tubes might work.

If I do the mod and it works, you can have mine.

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

The OEM throttle tube is still available from Suzuki for about $12.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You woulda thought that just about any one would work,
                  But no, it pretty much has to be a Suzuki tube. I looked at a few dirt bike ones, Way different, a Honda one, kinda different.
                  So I just broke down and had the 'local' Suzuki dealer (60km away) order me up one. I will go pick it up on Saturday. Only $29 FRIGGINN' BUCKS.
                  Teaches me to be stupid and break things.

Well, I did finish breaking it while trying to get the old grip off. I do feel better that it was half broken already from when I dropped it two years ago.

But what I don't get is "parts guys" who look at the throttle tube or oil pressure switch give me a blank look and ask "What is that?"
                  Shouldn't the guy behind the counter know a little more than me in front of the counter?

Comment

Ordered an R1 tube from local Yammie store today. It should be in by Friday. Cost was $15 +tax. The part number is 4YR262400200.

I'll let you know how it works.

Cheers,
                    spyug

Comment

Thanks for the info, I didn't know an R1 tube would work!

Comment

The R1 and R6 tubes are both supposed to work but with the R6 there is part of the tube (inside the housing) that needs a bit of shaving. The R1 is reputed to be a straight in swap.

Now from my investigation the R1 is known as a 1/4 turn tube whereas the R6 is a faster 1/5 tube. In most applications, the R6 tube is not recommended as it can make the throttle too twitchy, especially on the street.

A lot of guys use the R6 tubes on race bikes and dragsters.

Mine should be in Friday so, hopefully, I'll get a test ride on the weekend.

I'll report back.

Cheers all,
                        Spyug

Comment

Arghhhh broke mine tonight trying to get the POS grips off... damn. Gotta wait til the bike shop opens in the morning. Gonna try out the R1 tube mod, I'll report back in this thread.

Comment

That's funny I broke mine tonight too while working on the bike.

Comment

AAAAwwwww, you guys are making me feel capable again. It is not just me who breaks 26 year old plastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X