Uh - Oh.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh - Oh.......

Need your advice on a problem I have just encountered please.............

Has to do with a 1983 GS 750E, 16 valve motor - 2nd generation I think they call it.
    Just finished adjusting the valves and replaced the cam cover. Cam cover is held onto the head by 10 allen head bolts. They are a special fat head type.
    Here is the problem ......... the allen head bolts screw into the cam retainers. The cam retainers hold the cam in the head of course. I have the bolt hole in one of the cam retainers where this "fat head" allen bolt goes into that has stripped and a second one that is pretty much on the way out.
    So I can't bolt down the cam cover at 2 of the bolts.
    I know the cam retainers are machined with the head to provide a specific clearance between the bearing surface of the retainer and the cam surface.
    I have a spare engine i can pull the proper retainers out and install in my engine. That would be the easiest way to solve my problems.
    What do you guys think.............can there be that much of a difference if I replace the 2 spare retainers from antoher engine into mine?

Replacing the cam caps is a no-no since they are line bored with the head. Best to rework your old ones.

You can pull the cam caps and install helicoils to replace the stripped threads. Use a drill press if you have one to drill the pilot hole and tap the threads - this assures the holes are perpendicular. Pretty easy repair.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If it comes down to it, can you put the entire head from the spare motor onto this one?

Comment

If these are anything like the 1150 head drill, tap and heli-coil it.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It is a 7.0 x 1.0 helicoil just so you know. Ray.

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. I think I knew what was coming all along but wanted to hear it from you experts out there.
            My tool box will look better with some helicoil bits anyway.............

It'll be the simplest and most accurate repair to go that way.

Comment

ok, well I managed to bugger up this repair as well.............

The issue I have now is that I drilled too deep into the cam retainer bolt hole when drilling out for the helicoil and came out the other side!! The hole where the bolt screws into now has no bottom to it where before it did. The cam bearing surfaces on the underside of the cam retainer were not touched. The oil groove now connects with the bolt hole.
              Let it go as is? Fill up with JB weld? ..........or, do I just deserve to be taken behind the barn and worked over with a 2x4?

Comment

It was a weak design on the cam caps. I had a couple where the raised portion that the bolt fits into crumbled and fell apart. You can probably seal it up well enough with some epoxy putty that is resistant to oil and fuel.

Comment

Working...
                X