Not enough gasoline at higher speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not enough gasoline at higher speeds

Hello guys, im new here and i want to ask yall a question.

I had a prob with the first cilinder from the left (if u sit on the bike)

It didnt get any gas. After trying new sparkplugs and sparkhoses* ?

It didnt go and ran on 3.

Now it runs on 4 cilinders i had to change the "vlotterchamber inside the Carb of the cilinder. Now it goed wel on 4 cil but still it stalls sometimes and shocks when running. Must i synchronise the carbs? Ive checked for dirt in the carbs that is ok. Or just screw on the airscrew or something ?

Has someone an exploded view of the carbs ?

thx ppl.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2009, 03:01 PM.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Toecutter,

You'll find lots of documentation on my website. Let me roll out the welcome mat for you. Pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues".

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks BassCliff for the kind welcome , ill be sure to check out this info you gave me. It is mostly Chinese for me but i understand the big picture and the basics of the carbs and fuel intake etc..

I will inform yall about the progress, and ill show a few pictures of the gs550.

cheers

toecutter

Comment

Sounds like Basscliff got the word to you. A carb clean and sync will cure many issues as long as the orings are ALL changed out, intake boots are not hard/cracked and the bike is otherwise stock...

Welcome to the most collective knowledge of the Suzuki GS series of bikes...to be found on the web.

Comment

What do i need to understand about the intakeboots ? The "plastic" intakes from carbs to cilinder ? I dont think they are falsly connected , i mean no bad intake air. *sorry for the bad english but my technical english is far from good. It is a stock engine.

I did have installed another exhaust, i think its a megathon exhaust, the troubles did not occure after the exhaust install , but after i put away the airfilter.

So now im running with intakes all open. And of course dust has now the advantage....but then again it is just the left carb that wont co-operate...

About the O rings, maybe it is wise to do a complete rvision of the carbs and put some sport airfilters on it , i know running on open intakes is bad after all!!!

cheers
          Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2009, 05:14 PM.

Comment

you will have to rejet the cylinders evidently the one cylinder was borderline before you removed the air filter.... i would reinstall the air filter

Comment

Originally posted by Toecutter View Post
              What do i need to understand about the intakeboots ? The "plastic" intakes from carbs to cilinder ? I dont think they are falsly connected , i mean no bad intake air. *sorry for the bad english but my technical english is far from good. It is a stock engine.

I did have installed another exhaust, i think its a megathon exhaust, the troubles did not occure after the exhaust install , but after i put away the airfilter.

So now im running with intakes all open. And of course dust has now the advantage....but then again it is just the left carb that wont co-operate...

About the O rings, maybe it is wise to do a complete rvision of the carbs and put some sport airfilters on it , i know running on open intakes is bad after all!!!

cheers
              Here is the reason that you are running out of fuel...too MUCH air. With just an exhaust change, a rejet is usually not needed. The air filter NEEDS to be in in order for the bike to run correctly. Use a UNI foam filter (lightly oiled) and seal the air box back up.
              The intake tubes should be made of rubber and it should be pliable (soft/flexible) and behind the intake tubes (between the cylinder head and the tubes themselves)...there are o-rings that are known to get hard and not seal over time.

First start with the filter/airbox combo. Then proceed to a good carb soak and clean with a replacement of the assorted o-rings. http://www.cycleorings.com/ He is a member here and can be trusted to get you what you need.
              After a good bench sync (see Basscliff's site) you can then test for the intake o-rings...were it me and not knowing IF they have ever been replaced, I would do it while things are apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Toecutter View Post

cheers
                Toecutter,

first, welcome to the font of GS knowledge
                Second, help us out a bit by going up to the upper left corner of the Forum page. Find User CP. Enter your location and in the Signature, Give us the year and model of your 550 as different years have different carbs and that will help us focus on where your problems lie.

You say you're having a problem with the nomeclature, so if you need to, go to an Internet store like flatoutmotorcycles and use the parts finder to see the microfiches of the various parts of the bike and obtain the correct names.

So, to address your situation

1. The carb boots are between the carb and the head. They need to be soft and pliable and you should definately change the O rings between them and the head

2. I'm not familiar with that exhaust, but it will change you carb jetting needs

3. You must have some air filters to produce vacuum - try putting your air box back on and see what happens. Sport filters (pods) will work, but require much carb work in rejetting

4. As for the carbs, a clean up is pretty much required. Check BassCiff's site, determine whether your carbs are BS or VM and follow the instructions to completely clean them. In the US , we get O rings from cycleorings.com, anyway replace all those little O rings in the carbs as apart of your cleaning. It sounds as though the gas flow in carb #1 is blocked on your bike.

5. Are the valve clearances properly set to specification?

Don't worry about your English, most of us can barely speak it either!

Check BassCliff's site for how to post up big pictures and do so
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Okay thanks guys for a ll these quick responses, i'm going to have a go at it this weekend , i will be posting here again to tell yall the result

Cheers !

Comment

Working...
                  X