Harley Mufflers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harley Mufflers??

So here's the deal. As some of you may know by reading a few recently posted threads, I am finally getting around to putting my '79 750E back together. What can I say, a couple days of sunny weather got me motivated again. In the process of all the engine work to get it up to par mechanically, I've put countless hours into cleaning, painting, polishing...the whole nine yards. I'll save the details for another thread upon completion. Back to the point. I had the head pipes blasted and am in the process of painting them before bolting them on. The mufflers aren't great. I had pretty much decided to to run with them for now and possibly upgrade down the road, for the budget for this old machine is starting to run thin, and they're not dented or beat up, and all the visible chrome looks pretty OK. Just rusty around the collectors and the inner side thats up against the frame. But I keep looking at other options in hopes of finding some magic answer. Having said that, I have come across multiple threads where people have mentioned putting HD take-off mufflers on, but can't seem to find much info on it. Such as, mufflers off of which bike? Is any tuning needed for this? And most important, how do they hook up? Do you have to cut your old collector off and weld it on, or is there some adapter out there for this?

Sorry for the length. Hopefully you stayed with me to the end, and TIA.

efjay

suzuki davidson?

mufflers off any dyna glide or from the sportster/xl family will do. sometimes you can find a deal on the correct suzuki ones you need on ebay, you have to just keep searching every day or post a wanted list on this site. most h.d. inlets are 2" so they are pretty much a slip on gig but you will have to fab hangers on them, then once thats all done your going have to completely retune (sync) the carbs (back pressure changed) thats why its always nice to keep it all the right brands and parts on the bike. i am quite fond of my suzuki bikes and i also own a flock of harleys and mixing parts is not always accepted that well in some circles. i would think putting harley parts on her would kinda be like taking her down a notch.but if your working on a budget you use what you can get. cliff

Comment

So many Harley owners scrap the stock mufflers for straight pipes that it's very easy to find stock HD exhausts for free or close to free.

They're easy to find, cheap, and with a little welding and/or adapting, seem to work well.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Another option you may want to look into is removing the stock mufflers and replacing them with straight pipes. From there you can purchase muffler inserts. These inserts allow you to wrap as much or as little baffle packing as you like to create the tone and/or back pressure you like.

NOTE: Ive never purchased from the link above. It just was the first to come up with a known product thats been tested to work. At less than $25 shipped per, it isnt a bad way to go. And theyre repackable.

Comment

check with your local H/D dealer. They usually have a storeroom full of new takeoff stuff. I bough a set for $20 that were take off's

Comment

Hopefully using Harley parts won't make your bike unreliable or leak oil.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X