Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, this cloud of smoke on startup has got to go, how do I fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this possibly be a stuck ring considering it hasn't been ridden much recently?

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I would suggest pulling the head too since you will be removing the cams anyways. It will cost you a head gasket extra.

Otherwise, I would pull the cams, flip the adjusters up, then see if you can reinstall a cam without interference. If not, then you would need to remove the adjusters from their shaft. Either way, the reinstalled cam would be your leverage point. I would then get a cheap socket that fits the top of the spring retainer cap and a longish pry bar (16"?). I would cut scallops out of the side(s) of the socket so you can access the retainers. I would get my trusty 3/8" breaker bar and use 4 hose clamps to fasten it to the prybar so the socket will meet the cap. You will then have easy, smooth pressure to remove and reinstall the retainers. If you are worried about the cam lobes, put one of those fake credit cards from the mail in there.

You would have to be very careful doing this. If you rotate the crank with 1 cam bolted down, you may bend a valve. If both pistons are away from TDC, then you should be able to bolt/unbolt 1 cam. To keep the cam chain from jamming, you use a coat hanger loop up to the frame.

It might be difficult to cut the sides out of a cheap socket.

It's sounding easier to pull the head.

Comment

eccccchhhhh

this is sounding huuuuge!

ugh, I don't know what do do now, I can't have my bike down for more than a weekend, and never having done that before it really intimidating...

Comment

Take a deep breath, it's not that bad.

First tools. Do you have a torque wrench, proper sockets, etc?

Rather than use a socket, a piece of PVC pipe will work for the tool. You can easily cut the side out of it and use needlenose to get the keepers in A bit of grease makes them sticky so they behave.

I saw a guy use the frame as a staging point to press down on valves. It was a Kawasaki but similar to yours. With the engine in the frame you might be able to do it.

Or just pull the head. See if the exhaust manifold bolts will come out , don't force them if they resist too much or they will break. If the 4 bolts for the exhaust can be extracted then pop the carbs, remove the valve cover, a few nuts and bolts all around, and then remove the cams.

A block of wood to hold the cam chain and it's off. Really should be easy enough. And we will provide help, most guys here live for this s#it and love pictures of the process.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

so of course I order the seals for $50 and then this morning it only smokes maybe 2% as much as it has the last 40 startups...

I didnt use as much choke, but still I am sure I have done that before...

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
              so of course I order the seals for $50 and then this morning it only smokes maybe 2% as much as it has the last 40 startups...

I didnt use as much choke, but still I am sure I have done that before...
              Did you try riding the **** out of it yet?
              It usually works.
              Italians aren't stupid.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I agree that you should try an "italian tune up" first. My skunk smoked & stunk a lot the first couple of rides... It also got faster over the first 1000 miles (I presume the rings were re-seating & it was building compression).

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I did wind it up a bit on the way home last night, that would be sweet if that fixed it.

Not sure I get the joke, but I am Half Italian so maybe that's why? ha.

Comment

If you went to Italy & spent some time driving there you'd understand.... Italian's drive like they're on a racetrack 100% of the time, even if they're only driving a 1000cc Fiat.

An Italian tune up is to go out & really beat on it. In the UK we quite often use it as a way of getting older cars through their emissions test. Usually the car that has been puttering around town at 1500rpm in the hands of your Mrs for the last year...

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I have been there, so yeah that totally makes sense now that you explain it, haaa. The part that amazed me the most was in rome where there were like 20,000 scooters cars and bikes all right below my hotel window all ignoring traffic lights and just given'er, not one accident. Yet here on VI where everyone goes 10 under the limit, accident every day in my town of 5000... sad.

Well, I am going to beat the crap out of it today then, I like a vehicle that gets better the more you beat on it!

my bike was owned by a lady so she could let her kids ride with her on the back, so I bet she puttered quite a bit...
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2009, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Dohhhh, I didn't think it through all the way. If you flip-up/remove all the adjuster arms first, there can be no engagement of the valves, so no chance of bent valves. Here is a pic of 2 possibilities, and I kinda like the 1/4" setup. It has a piece of PVC slipped over a socket like Duaneage suggested. The PVC would need a 1/2" x 1/2" window cut into the side. It's very important to have stable leverage, especially for reinstallation.

Comment

I want to do a loop around the Olympic Peninsula to include a ferry ride to Vancouver Island, and a couple days tooling around there. A few years ago I bought a '67 Ford Cortina in North Vancouver BC and drove it home to Tillamook OR. Vancouver BC is a bit of a scarey place to drive in my limited experience. Tried to drive across the island then, but the ferry was in dry dock that week. Ended up staying the night in Horseshoe bay, and having to drive down to WA..

Originally posted by donimo View Post
                          I have been there, so yeah that totally makes sense now that you explain it, haaa. The part that amazed me the most was in rome where there were like 20,000 scooters cars and bikes all right below my hotel window all ignoring traffic lights and just given'er, not one accident. Yet here on VI where everyone goes 10 under the limit, accident every day in my town of 5000... sad.

Well, I am going to beat the crap out of it today then, I like a vehicle that gets better the more you beat on it!

my bike was owned by a lady so she could let her kids ride with her on the back, so I bet she puttered quite a bit...
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                            Dohhhh, I didn't think it through all the way. If you flip-up/remove all the adjuster arms first, there can be no engagement of the valves, so no chance of bent valves. Here is a pic of 2 possibilities, and I kinda like the 1/4" setup. It has a piece of PVC slipped over a socket like Duaneage suggested. The PVC would need a 1/2" x 1/2" window cut into the side. It's very important to have stable leverage, especially for reinstallation.

excellent, that picture is worth a thousand words for sure, I was totally off on what you meant, even though re-reading it now it makes sense. thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                              I want to do a loop around the Olympic Peninsula to include a ferry ride to Vancouver Island, and a couple days tooling around there. A few years ago I bought a '67 Ford Cortina in North Vancouver BC and drove it home to Tillamook OR. Vancouver BC is a bit of a scarey place to drive in my limited experience. Tried to drive across the island then, but the ferry was in dry dock that week. Ended up staying the night in Horseshoe bay, and having to drive down to WA..
                              If you do, and you have enought time, be sure to duck off the highway as early as Shawnigan Lake, the top of the Malahat north is pretty darn boring otherwise, just a highway. The backroads are where the beauty lies.

If you get close let me know I could do up a map for you. I think they need to build way more scenic roads here, we are tourism based here and none of the main roads go near the water, its an island guys!

Comment

so the smoke is WAAAAYYY less if I don't use the choke. The idle is really low with no choke (850-ish) but it runs, just a bit of smoke as I pull away.

If I use choke then it is like a tractor pull out the back for a few min...

still valve seals and this choke thing has an explanaition?

Comment

Working...
                                X