Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS450 tank compatible with 1981 GS550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS450 tank compatible with 1981 GS550?

From what i can see, the tank looks like it'll fit the 550 (has similar mounting style in the front, would need to make adapter for rear)

has anybody run a 450 tank on a 550?

3 hours of search yielded 0 results for specifics.

Usually the tanks are very specific to models. Sometimes a different year can be used if it is in the same series, such as 81 - 83 in the case of the 650G, but crossing over from the twins to the fours is almost never possible without serious modifications,

The 850/1000/1100 2 valve bikes are somewhat compatible as long as you stay with the G submodel. The L model cruisers are a totally different idea.

The 750/1000/1100 16 valve bikes are pretty close and the body parts are a bit interchangeable.

You might have better luck with twin engine gas tanks from another company, such as Yamaha or Honda, but in any case some mods are in order. A few of the Cafe builders are more knowledgeable than I on this subject.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I'm running a GS650E tank on my GS450. The front mounts are the same, the rubber base cushion on the frame (at the rear of the tank) is in the right spot, but the rear tank mounts are totally different. Also the 650 tank is longer, so the petcock fouls on the 450 frame rear downtubes.

So, in other words, you should only need to fab a different rear mount (and hope the petcock clears your engine)

But hey, that's custom building for you
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

someone else asked this same question a couple months back well i guess it is almost a year now. I will look for it and let you know.

Comment

Working...
        X