Clutch Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Questions

OK, My clutch was giving me some issues the other day on my shakedown run (I was having lots of problems taking off.. something just didn't feel right) and I experienced some slipping last year so I'm gonna crack the case and check it out. I do have a few questions (my manual is 500miles away right now):

1 - I ordered stock Suzuki Springs and a Clutch Cover gasket from the dealership. I'm going to measure out the fibers and the metal plates as well as the springs that are in there. What are the specs for the plates and springs (if they're out of spec, I need to order some).

2 - What size/pitch are the phillips head screws/bolts that are in the clutch cover? I'd like to replace them with the hex head when it's taken apart.

3 - What does the 32mm nut do? I'm trying to read on if i'll need an impact to remove and inspect the clutch plates and such. I am downloading the shop manual as we speak so chances are that this will answer my question but I just figured I'd ask anyways.

If the dealer gets the parts to me by friday night i'll be able to do this clutch this weekend hopefully. Wish me luck. I've never done a clutch before on a bike.

The big nut doesn't have to be removed to change the clutch plates. BUT make sure it is tight. Just need to remove the six bolts to remove what you could call the pressure plate

Comment

OK Perfect.

Now does someone know the size of the bolts for the clutch cover so I can replace them as well?

EDIT:

Found part numbers... can someone tell me the size from these?

SCREW
      02112-06657 (replaces 02112-06658)

SCREW
      02112-06257 (replaces 02112-06258)

SCREW
      02112-06207 (replaces 02112-06208)
      Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2009, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Ok, if i'm reading right (from typing in the part number on google), they're #6 metric bolts with 20 and 25mm in length. Correct?

Comment

You can get a SS bolt kit for the entire engine for around 25 bux on ebay.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

i got my ss bolt kit from burkes motorsport. Do a search here and it should pop up.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by djscottymiami View Post
              OK Perfect.

Now does someone know the size of the bolts for the clutch cover so I can replace them as well?

EDIT:

Found part numbers... can someone tell me the size from these?

SCREW
              02112-06657 (replaces 02112-06658)
              066528 = 06mm diameter x 65mm length

SCREW
              02112-06257 (replaces 02112-06258)
              06257 again, 6mm diameter but now 25mm length

SCREW
              02112-06207 (replaces 02112-06208)
              06207 - now you've got the hang of the parts numbering - 6mm diameter again and 20mm length
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Well, I couldn't find any stainless steel ones in the city, so they gave me the black colored ones. Ill just make sure to put anti seize on them. I got 5 X #6 20mm and 5X #6 25mm for the case.

Comment

My expereince has been (twice now) that the fibre plates can be within the thickenss spec, but be so hard that they dont grip as they should.

My eerience also has been (same, twice now) that if you think it is slipping, it has, and has been for lot longer than you thought. And maybe that is also why the fibre plates are hard, from all the slipping. And then when you replace the fibre plates and the springs - wow- then you remember what it should have been like.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    My expereince has been (twice now) that the fibre plates can be within the thickenss spec, but be so hard that they dont grip as they should.

My eerience also has been (same, twice now) that if you think it is slipping, it has, and has been for lot longer than you thought. And maybe that is also why the fibre plates are hard, from all the slipping. And then when you replace the fibre plates and the springs - wow- then you remember what it should have been like.

Yeah, that's what my thoughts were as well. I ordered the parts from the dealer on Wednesday and he said they MAY be in tomorrow which would be great because i'm moving the weekend after so I won't be able to work at it

This all started last year actually. I did a valve adjustment and it made a HUGE difference on the powerband. The throttle response was a lot crisper and the bike responded a lot better then before. I was having a little bit of a race with a buddy of mine in his jeep and I took off and it just slipped like a bastard. The RPM's shot up but I went nowhere. Then this past week I was riding around and it seems like the rpm's were really high for how fast I was going.

Oh well, we'll have to see how it looks like when I pop it open. I'm pretty much prepared to be replacing clutch plates and fibres... I just want to change the springs first and see if it helps (that way I can ride).

Comment

Working...
                    X