Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will an Impact Driver Help Get Carbs Apart??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will an Impact Driver Help Get Carbs Apart??

Hi guys.

I'm trying to break my bank of carbs apart so that I can get them all cleaned up and get the new o-rings installed. But I'm having absolutely no luck getting the screws to come out.

Will an impact driver help get them out easier??

Thanks.
    Jeff

Yep. I used one on mine to break the rack screws loose. Like always when using an impact driver, think about where that force is gonna go before you swing the hammer. A little common sense should keep you outta trouble and let you use the driver to break loose the stubborn fasteners.

Comment

Also be sure to use the proper size bit.

At least one of those sets of screws will take a #3 Phllips bit.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Vice grips

You can also use vice grips. The disadvantage is that it will scar your rack screws (very little if you're careful) but the advantage is that it will eliminate the likelihood of damaging your carbs.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
          You can also use vice grips. The disadvantage is that it will scar your rack screws (very little if you're careful) but the advantage is that it will eliminate the likelihood of damaging your carbs.
          im with chuckycheese here.

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
            im with chuckycheese here.
            Me too. Then I would replace them with button (allen) head screws if they're available.

Comment

what i have always done is, take the carbs off the bike and take off everything you can to make sure there is absolutely no gas in any of them at all. then heat up the aluminum next to each stuck screw with a propane plumbers torch very slightly. the screws will come right out when the casting gets warm. there can be no gas at all in the area your working in so do this outside away from the bike if you can. the screws are steel, the casting is aluminum and add moisture you get a furosity mixture thats simular to loctite. you can also free stuck slides this way. remember only slight heat at the area next to the screw. home depot carrys all the metric button screws to will need even the pan heads in the back.cliff
              Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2009, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Also be sure to use the proper size bit.

At least one of those sets of screws will take a #3 Phllips bit.

Yes. I would add that I have found that the bit which came with my Craftsman impact tool have much more "grab" than your typical bits. In many cases just switching to using the impact driver as a regular screwdriver (not actually hitting it) to use those bits has been enough to get tough screws free. That and a little PB Blaster of course

Comment

I used the impact driver to get most of mine off. For the rest I cut slots with my dremel tool and used a large slotted screwdriver. Then I replaced all of them with the stainless allen heads, with a dab of anti-seize.

Comment

Working...
                  X