Installing tach and speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing tach and speedo cable

Hey guys just got a new speedo cable and tach cable. im getting ready to install them, but wanted to see if there is anything i need to look out for while installing them. I'd really hate to go and mess them up.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Nope

No, it's really straight forward and as easy as it looks. Just be sure you're routing both correctly but you can sort of unplug one and plug in the other one step at a time for both of those applications.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I find it easier to connect the bottom end first. The bottom end of both cables is a single tab-and-slot arrangement that has to be aligned just right for it to work. The top end of both of them is a square end on the cable that kind of funnels into the back of the gauge. This allows both of them to just slide into place rather easily.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. Just wasnt sure whether or not they needed greased or anything.
        I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
        1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

On the speedo drive, make sure the index marks are aligned-- up arrow. Might also turn the gauges upside down and let some oil soak into the mech.

Comment

A little antisieze on the threads never hurts.Also , careful that the speedo cable doesn't get caught at the steering stops.I had to tie mine against the headlight bracket or when you turn the bars to the left,the cable gets pinched,damages the outer then breaks the inner and kapoot.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Working...
            X