Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tensioner Rebuild--Help!!

Hi everyone.

Today I am doing lots of stuff to my bike.

One of the things is the cam chain tensioner rebuild.

I got the tensioner off of the bike, and got the 10mm nut off of the end of the spring doohickey thing. I also got the lock nut and the screw out of the other side.

I'm following the directions on Brian's site, and I'm stuck where it tells me to remove the whole big spring doohickey and then use the 30mm wrench.

I have been messing with it for about 30 minutes now, and I simply can't seem to grasp how you take that spring part off of the body of the tensioner. I can turn it one way or the other, and I see how it works as far as providing tension, but I just can't get it out of there.

Any tips or tricks??

Thanks!!

If it's like I remember, just pull it off once you have the nut off. The shaft has two flats, and the knurled knob has an oval-shaped hole. That's how the spring transmits torque to the shaft. With the spring tension on there, it feels like it's stuck. Twist it to relieve the tension on the shaft, and it should pull off.

A vise with soft jaws and a big wrench were needed to get the 30 mm nut.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Here http://bwringer.com/gs/
      or http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      lots of info on tensioner
      Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2009, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I got it off. It was just stuck really good on the end.

Got the whole thing rebuilt and back on the bike now.

Comment

<Sniff!>

I love happy endings!

Thanks for sharing your success.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            <Sniff!>

I love happy endings!

Thanks for sharing your success.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Thanks BassCliff...

Unfortunately, that was the end of my good luck today...after that it was al downhill with my carb cleaning/rebuild and my airbox sealing.

Long story short, my carbs wouldn't come apart and my airbox is basically complete junk. Taking a break for a few days before going back at it again. Lots of tools were thrown and swear words were yelled. That signals to me it's time to take a few days off.

Comment

Working...
            X