Oil leak but from where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak but from where

ok so last summer I had my chain come off and wrap around my front sproket and now I replaced every thing but I have a progressing oil leak and done know what to do.

my options are use silicone to make gaskets for the oil pan and i could take out the push rod oil seal and put silicone on that as well.

Here are the pics:
    BUT BEFORE YOU MAKE JUDGMENTS ON WHATS WRONG READ THE COMMENTS ON THE PICTURES!!!

I had leaks all over the bottom of the motor on my GS400 and just changed the pushrod seal, the seal on the gearshifter, and the whole top end (first time for all). If your seals are leaking, just change them... these guys are right, it's not that hard (just screw through them with a self-tapper and pull the screw out to pull the seal with it). For the $5 each, it seems to be a much better way to stop leaks than messing about with silicone, which is a temporary fix at best. On mine, the previous owner had used something like JB weld or hard gasket maker plus silicone, and it was puking oil all over the place. BikeBandit is great.

Atchbo

Comment

Seal

It's hard to guess from the pictures (good job, by the way) but I'm guessing it may be your counter-shaft seal. Did you replace that??

As far as having oil on your tire...yes, that's not a good thing. The only really good things to have on your tires are rubber, asphalt and concrete.....and maybe a little dirt ever now and then.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by atchbo View Post
        I had leaks all over the bottom of the motor on my GS400 and just changed the pushrod seal, the seal on the gearshifter, and the whole top end (first time for all). If your seals are leaking, just change them... these guys are right, it's not that hard (just screw through them with a self-tapper and pull the screw out to pull the seal with it). For the $5 each, it seems to be a much better way to stop leaks than messing about with silicone, which is a temporary fix at best. On mine, the previous owner had used something like JB weld or hard gasket maker plus silicone, and it was puking oil all over the place. BikeBandit is great.

Atchbo
        Well like I said I am selling it I only need a temp fix and I dont ahve time to order more seals and wait a freakin week to get them.

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
        It's hard to guess from the pictures (good job, by the way) but I'm guessing it may be your counter-shaft seal. Did you replace that??

As far as having oil on your tire...yes, that's not a good thing. The only really good things to have on your tires are rubber, asphalt and concrete.....and maybe a little dirt ever now and then.
        haha yeah it was kinda retorical but you got it. does oil come from the counter-shaft seal?

thank you
        Jake

Comment

There is a good chance as Ckuckycheese said that it could be the counter shaft/sprocket seal. This shaft is pressure fed from the main sump area. You can see the oil way that feeds the shaft in the attached picture. I had a really bad leak on my 550 and a new seal (actually there are two seals, an inner & an outer) fixed the problem. You won't get those seals out without ruining them and needing new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
            Well like I said I am selling it I only need a temp fix and I dont ahve time to order more seals and wait a freakin week to get them.

haha yeah it was kinda retorical but you got it. does oil come from the counter-shaft seal?

thank you
            Jake
            You're welcome! And, yes, oil can leak out of there even if the seal looks just fine. I was thinking since you had a chain wrapped around the shaft, it might have gotten tweaked pretty good. If you need to change it, be careful so that you don't wreck the new one (or new ones, as Don points out), which is easy to do. (Don't ask me how I know!)

Comment

You're welcome! And, yes, oil can leak out of there even if the seal looks just fine. I was thinking since you had a chain wrapped around the shaft, it might have gotten tweaked pretty good. If you need to change it, be careful so that you don't wreck the new one (or new ones, as Don points out), which is easy to do. (Don't ask me how I know!)
              well this was already the new one the old one was terrible and all broken up.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                There is a good chance as Ckuckycheese said that it could be the counter shaft/sprocket seal. This shaft is pressure fed from the main sump area. You can see the oil way that feeds the shaft in the attached picture. I had a really bad leak on my 550 and a new seal (actually there are two seals, an inner & an outer) fixed the problem. You won't get those seals out without ruining them and needing new ones.
                So there are two seals? oh man that sucks I just ordered some stuff from bikebandit and they are the only ones with the right sized seal for that cause suzuki had the wrong one.

Jake

Comment

Schematics

Becoming very familiar with the schematics for these old bikes and ordering parts by number is the only way to ensure you get the right stuff. Also, if a Suzuki dealer says he has a part you're looking for, it's most likely not the right part; after all these years, they don't keep parts for bikes as old as ours.

Comment

Note to self:

Never buy a bike from nisom512...

Comment

Becoming very familiar with the schematics for these old bikes and ordering parts by number is the only way to ensure you get the right stuff. Also, if a Suzuki dealer says he has a part you're looking for, it's most likely not the right part; after all these years, they don't keep parts for bikes as old as ours.
                      they do but I guess the data base changes every 3 months or something at my store or some crazy stupid amount and they are always screwing up. and taking a really long time to get my parts in.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
                        Note to self:

Never buy a bike from nisom512...
                        HAHAHA its not that I go cheap 90% of my parts are done are OEM and put in right I am just sick of this thing it is just a depression chamber and every time I touch it I find something new. and all I have left is this dumb oil leak and I need to sell the bike soon cause its buying season. so you understand, i mean I wont pull the "oh this oil leak? no its a automatic chain luber keeps the chain nice and oiled." I wouldnt do that I just want a quicker fix than waiting a couple weeks to get my dumb parts that I have already put $500 in to of a supposedly good running bike when I bought it. Wow not I dont even have to touch it to get dipressed.

Jake

Comment

HAHAHA its not that I go cheap 90% of my parts are done are OEM and put in right I am just sick of this thing it is just a depression chamber and every time I touch it I find something new. and all I have left is this dumb oil leak and I need to sell the bike soon cause its buying season. so you understand, i mean I wont pull the "oh this oil leak? no its a automatic chain luber keeps the chain nice and oiled." I wouldnt do that I just want a quicker fix than waiting a couple weeks to get my dumb parts that I have already put $500 in to of a supposedly good running bike when I bought it. Wow not I dont even have to touch it to get dipressed.

Jake

Oh man, I know what you mean.

I paid $1100 for my 1000G, and it was "Ready for the Road!!" The seller told me I'd have no trouble riding it from his home to my home, which would have been a two hour ride. I paid him an extra $100 to deliver it to me.

I guess "Ready for the Road!!!" meant:
                          It leaks oil like a sieve.
                          It's airbox is falling apart.
                          It's headlight/signal switch doesn't work.
                          It's carb boots were falling apart.
                          It needs new tires.

I'm not really mad, because I knew I'd be spending some money on it anyways...but it definitely wasn't ready for the road at all...I've already put about $500 into it and I've got another $200 worth of parts that I need to get now that I just found out the airbox is so bad I need to get pod filters.

In retrospect, I probably wouldn't have bought this specimen...but once I get it done, I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Comment

Schematics

they do but I guess the data base changes every 3 months or something at my store or some crazy stupid amount and they are always screwing up. and taking a really long time to get my parts in.
                            No, I'm referring to Suzuki OEM schematics and numbers. Most websites that have schematics use OEM numbers which you can then use to order with confidence. (I think there are much better places to buy parts than Bike Bandit but that's another subject.)

Comment

If you think the countershaft seal is leaking pull the countershaft sprocket and fire the bike up. Take a look a the seal and if it's leaking you should be able to see it.

Also note that there is a bearing inside the seal. If it's bad you will be able to move the countershaft laterally. If it's good you won't be able to do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X