GSX1100 1980 cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100 1980 cutting out

To cut a long story short it all started with a valve cover oil leak.
    When I brought it back to the dealer, it was really pouring down and I'm pretty sure it was not running on all cylinders when I arrived.
    The gasket got replaced, but then the bike started to run on two cylinders after 10mm.
    Has anyone experience the same kind of issue?
    Also, I think I read somewhere - maybe on this forum - that this bike is very sensitive to the correct oil level. Is that true?
    Thanks for your help.

I've gotta' say I really don't understand the lingo here.

You took the bike to a dealership for a valve cover leak and they returned it to you only running on 2 cylinders? If that's the case, why did you pick it up? If you can't fix a leak why take a bike that doesn't run properly?

I'm confused - as always.

Comment

If I'm getting this right you rode it in the pouring rain. You picked the bike up and after 10 minutes you lost two cylinders. Check the connections on the coils under the tank.

Comment

could be a coil, each coil fires 2 cylinders.

Comment

Well I bought the bike - very clean, low mileage, some period mods - from a dealership and it started leaking oil after 10mm or so.
          I brought it back and after about ten days I was told they were troubleshooting it as it ran great for about 10mm and then was running on two cylinders.
          Apparently they struggle a bit to find out what's wrong. Hence this post.

Comment

10mm isn't very far at all, like a half inch!

If you bought it from a dealer i would make them fix it for free

Comment

Replacing the gasket is free. I'm not too sure for the stuff in progress.
              Of course there is no warranty.

Comment

If they had the valve cover off they probably screwed up the wiring to one coil.

Comment

That's possible. If so it should be easy to spot I would guess.
                  I hope to get more news tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                  X