GS 550 Non CV Carbs setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550 Non CV Carbs setup?

Does anyone know how to set-up these carbs?
    There seem to be 2 different mixture screws. One is located (where you expect it to be) on the left (or right) hand side of the carb so adjustments can easily be made.
    The other one is at the bottom of the carb (near the front of the floatbowl) and can only adjusted from underneath (basically only with the carbs off the motorcycle).
    What is it's use and how should it be set?

Best regards

Bert Bakkker (fastdrivingman)

Fast driver,

The top screw on your VM carbs is the "air mixture" screw. The bottom screw is the "fuel pilot" screw. The fuel pilot screw is the one that, in all the books/manuals, it says to not touch/adjust. Doing so would bring a penalty even higher than that imposed if you were to rip the tag off of your mattress.

I don't know the exact baseline setting for your bike of those screws, but on a 750, they would be around 1-3/4 to 2 turns out from bottom for the idle air screw and 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 turns out for the fuel pilot screw. For your bike, they should be pretty close, if not the same.

Of the last two people that were caught messing with the fuel pilot screws, one was sentenced to read the 300 page "Collected works of poetry", written by Argonsagas, and the other was court-ordered to wear a steel-wool thong for 6 months (don't get all excited Hap!)
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Nederlander???

If not sorry for the insult...

Comment

i messed with my pilot screw on the bottom of my 78's carbs...so i've apparently sinned. i'm not the first person who's probably messed with it, since the previous owners to me did who knows what internaly to the engine.

anywho, i wrote down in the back of my clymer's manual, how far each turn was for all 8 of the screws. there was not much consistancy to it...but it was between 1-2 for each. i can get you the numbers if you'd like.

my carbs ran rich. for some reason i made it run richer. i got about 30 MPG city...40 highway.

i haven't touched the carbs on my new 78 GS550 yet.

~AOD

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
          Nederlander???

If not sorry for the insult...
          Insult? Bert must at least have some Dutch ancestors! 8O

Comment

Dutch indeed

Seems both jojo and robinjo are right.

I have Dutch ancestors and I'am dutch myself. 8)
            Why apologies? At least you didn't call me German

Comment

Working...
            X