Welding Pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding Pipes?

tracking down replacement pipes for my 650E hasn't been easy...

the stock L-model system i found in my local store had a broken collar/pipe hanger - being aluminum its not going to weld well, but if we could possibly cut the header pipe, replace the collar/hanger and weld the header back together
    (i'm hoping we can find a place down at the bottom so its not too visible, and maybe a dab of silver paint will mask the join)

any input on whether this is a good/bad idea?
    what downfalls could there be?

I'm hoping to get an idea of what is viable before i buy the pipes and approach a welder

you sure it's aluminum??? (i'm not necessarily saying it's not) aluminum is not often used for an exhaust.... i would think the pipes will be steel... hangers would be too, as it's kinda a pain to get aluminum & steel to play together nicely...

maybe i'm reading something wrong?

-Nate

Comment

You could alway go with a2 piece flange like the Motos use.

Or have something along these line made up to piece together around the spigot.

Or you could just take both parts into any small welding shop that has an AC tig setup. Not only could they repair the break but also fill any missing areas while its on the header pipe.

Comment

I cut my damaged 550 exhaust where the bolt on side shield is and you can't see the weld at all. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman View Post
          Works great.
          Awesome, I've put the word out about town that I'm looking for a welder -I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
            You could alway go with a2 piece flange like the Motos use.

Or have something along these line made up to piece together around the spigot.

Or you could just take both parts into any small welding shop that has an AC tig setup. Not only could they repair the break but also fill any missing areas while its on the header pipe.
            oohhh.. whoops... THAT... ok.. i'm an idiot... who wasn't awake when he posted.

-Nate

Comment

Working...
            X