Where to send shocks for rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to send shocks for rebuild?

I have Koni shocks on my '78 that are in need of being rebuilt. Anyone have a suggestion on where to send? I contacted Koni but they are no longer rebuilding motorcycle shocks. They told me that Ikon is handling all that for them now, but they are in Australia.

I believe Works performance will rebuild anyones shocks.... Ask TomMLC I think they rebuilt his Ohlins.

I too have a set of Koni's, I was thinking about rebuilding them myself, unless the bushes/seals are shot (& even these might be available from Mcmaster or someone) then it should be a case of opening them up, cleaning & refilling with fork oil of the right weight. New springs if necessary.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
      There's a guy on Ebay that sells rebuilt Koni shocks. He rebuilds them himself and from the looks of his work does a good job.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...1%7C240%3A1318
      Sent an email to that guy asking how much to rebuild and he said $250 for everything. Seems a little high but then again I've never had gotten another quote. I'll call Works today and see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
        Sent an email to that guy asking how much to rebuild and he said $250 for everything. Seems a little high but then again I've never had gotten another quote. I'll call Works today and see what they say.

How much are new?

For that much money, you could buy a new set of Progressives or even Hagon.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
          Does seem high when he sells sets for less money that he has rebuilt. Maybe he thought you wanted to buy a set.

For that kind of money Lindemann would probably do them. http://www.le-suspension.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
            Does seem high when he sells sets for less money that he has rebuilt. Maybe he thought you wanted to buy a set.

For that kind of money Lindemann would probably do them. http://www.le-suspension.com/
            Actually, they go for much more in the condition he restores them to. The price you see on that auction hasn't had the reserve met yet. My guess is somewhere near $600 and the reserve is off.

I know some say you can get Progressives new for what's he's charging, but you get what you pay for. Koni's are MUCH better shocks than Progressives. I had a set on my 1100 and wish I had never sold them.

There are plenty of shock rebuild places out there as you've noted. They all charge a fair amount.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
              Actually, they go for much more in the condition he restores them to. The price you see on that auction hasn't had the reserve met yet. My guess is somewhere near $600 and the reserve is off.

I know some say you can get Progressives new for what's he's charging, but you get what you pay for. Koni's are MUCH better shocks than Progressives. I had a set on my 1100 and wish I had never sold them.

There are plenty of shock rebuild places out there as you've noted. They all charge a fair amount.
              Should have paid closer attention, still half asleep.

Have your Konis rebuilt, if not by him then by someone.

Comment

just buy the rebuild kit from ikon, they are easy to deal with and good folks, Joe Nardy and my self have Ikons on our GS's and are very happy with them. It shouldn't be to hard to rebuild them, open them up, pour out the old goo replace the rubber bits pour in new goo close it up. I bet Ikon would even give you a recomendation to what weight oil to use when you refill them.
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I just sent a set of blown out Koni strut inserts to Koni America and had them rebuilt. They also revalved them for Autocross use, and made the damping externally adjustable for 200 bucks a pop, about the price of their "classic" shock insert, which is mow the only one they make for my '68 Ford Cortina GT.

These shocks blew out with only about 30,000 miles on them, and lost all damping. I was not super happy with them, but there are not that many choices for that car.

The only Koni shocks I ever had on a motorcycle were on my '69 Norton Atlas cafe racer I built in the 70's. One of the shocks developed a leak in the first couple thousand miles.

Because of my personal experience with them, I'm not a big Koni fan.

I'm running a set of Boge turbo gas shocks in the Cortina now, until I take it apart and put in the Konis and a coil over kit I bought for it. The Konis did work a ton better than the Boge for the little while they lasted. The general consensus for Konis is positive, but I have never had that good of luck with them.

Here is the Atlas with Konis
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I have a set to go on the 1000G.. maybe I'll buy a rebuild kit too. Might be cheaper to get 2 kits & combine shipping......

I was just going to open them up & see what was inside.

Be interesting to hear how much works will charge to rebuild. From memory of what Tom paid it wasn't that cheap.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

IIRC, Ikon shocks (new Koni's) were around $350-$400 a couple years ago, shipped from Australia. Maybe the prices have changed now, but this ebay guy's prices seem too high. Perhaps, sell him your old ones for $100 & to soften the blow on brand new Australian Ikons.

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                      X