is there a way to rebuilt carbs without having to sync carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a way to rebuilt carbs without having to sync carb

on my 1980 gs1100l im wanting to rebuild carbs and add larger jets while im at it my question is can i do this without having to sync the carbs thanks

I'm not an expert but I just rebuilt mine and from the way I see it as long as you don't separate the carbs, mechanically the syncronization should remain the same. You can change the jets without separating them also. You of course won't be able to dip them or clean them to well because of the rubber parts.
    Eddie V

Comment

Originally posted by 1980gs1100l View Post
      on my 1980 gs1100l im wanting to rebuild carbs and add larger jets while im at it my question is can i do this without having to sync the carbs thanks
      Hi,

Rebuild carbs.
      Bench sync carbs.
      Check and adjust valve clearances.
      Vacuum sync carbs.

Guides and links to information, including jetting guides, are on my website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by eddiev View Post
        I'm not an expert but I just rebuilt mine and from the way I see it as long as you don't separate the carbs, mechanically the syncronization should remain the same.
        You are quite correct, however, there is no way you can properly clean and 'rebuild' the carbs without separating the rack.

The carbs need to be dipped to clean all the little passages between the jets. If you don't separate the rack, the o-rings in the fuel transfer tubes will be eaten away, requiring you to separate the rack, anyway.

Not sure why you are so hesitant to sync the carbs. That is part of the normal maintenance routine and will be done many more times than a good carb cleaning. If you do a PROPER carb cleaning that actually works, all you have to do is keep riding the bike, adding fresh gas along the way, to keep things clean. If you must store the bike for the winter, simply add some stabilizer to the gas before storing it. I cleaned the carbs on my wife's bike over four years ago and have not had them apart since then. I have checked carb sync every year, at the start of the season.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You should be able to visually sync them on the bench, but it won't be as accurate as doing the vac sync.

For what it's worth, I've bench synced the carbs on my Ninja a few times and never had to do any adjustments after I did that. However, I did the vac sync just to make sure.

I think it would be best just to vac sync them...but that's just me.

Comment

You can bench synch them but you might find it's wrong because one cylinder pulls harder than another or something.

You can't get a real synch without having them mounted & running on the bike you're going to use them on. They will be close though.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just send the carbs to me and I'll take care of them. I can bench them but you'll have to vacuum sync
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

"Just send the carbs to me and I'll take care of them. I can bench them but you'll have to vacuum sync"

Wow, Bill, that's a nice offer!

Rick

Comment

Bill rides an 1100 L as do I. Don't cut yourself short on performance, pull them apart, clean them, bench synk will only get you close. Do a proper sync. and hang on.
                  V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Well, I just installed my carbs after a rebuild and the bike sounds really good. I didn't ride it because I have an electrical issue which I'll post separatly in a bit but I totally agree. Do a complete rebuild. It took me a few days but I'm glad I did it.

Eddie V

Comment

Originally posted by 1980gs1100l View Post
                      Why do you want to add larger jets? If it is running correctly, you shouldn't change the jets. Don't confuse larger jets with more power. The only way you need bigger jets is if you have done something else to change the airflow.

Also, a carb sync is one of the easiest things you can do to maintain your motorcycle. You don't even have to buy an expensive sync tool. There is a guide here to make your own for cheap.

Comment

reason im considering is before i acquired the bike it had a kerker megaphone 4 into 1 exhaust put on at idle it runs rough and if u bring rpms up between 2k-3k it will kind of pop through the exhaust other threads indicate the jets probably wasnt matched to the exhaust and if im having to jet it for the exhaust im going to go ahead and put pods on it any ideas on what size i should go to to get close and what jets need to be changed and which ones need be left alone thanks for all your input

Comment

Hi,

With pods and pipes, the most popular solution is the Dynojet Jet Kit.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                          X