Air Filter Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Filter Box

Hi 1982 GS1100G USA.I have written before but never really got the answer.
    There is no drain tube in the bottom of the box,but a pipe which runs through the LHS and connects to the top of the box.The hole in the base where it goes through is not air tight.Both ends of the box are airtight.There are holes in the base of the box.Oil accumulates on the underside of the box.
    Has anybody out there got the same set up and the same problem.

Do you mean holes in the bottom of your air box? What's an LHS? I believe you are refering to the breather tube that comes out of the top of the valve cover back to the air box.

Can you take pictures of your box so we can see?

Rick

Comment

you have the oil from the engine breather tube entering the airbox in excessive amounts.

reasons that i could think of:
      • your engine may be overfilled with oil or your oil may be too thin
      • there may be no mesh filter on the top of the engine breather tube cover
      • your engine may be overheating and the oil becoming very thin
      the holes at the bottom of the airbox are a normal air intake feature

(if i understand your post correctly...)
      GS850GT

Comment

The other awful reason for the oil ending up in the air filter box (via the engine breather hose) is excessive blow-by caused by worn piston rings and/or scored bores.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          you have the oil from the engine breather tube entering the airbox in excessive amounts.

reasons that i could think of:
          • your engine may be overfilled with oil or your oil may be too thin

Or petrol/fuel in the sump mixed with the oil. Resulting in overful crankcase and thin, diluted oil. As PSYGUY has hinted at (I think).

Comment

A little bit of oil accumulating on the bottom of the airbox is perfectly normal.

If it's dripping after a 10 mile ride to work, then you have a problem with blowby (bad rings).

If it's a little squidgy after a hard couple hundred miles, nothing to worry about.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Air Filter Box

Hi, Thanks for all your advice.LHS means Left hand side.
              Nobody has said they have the same configuration of pipes out of or through the Air Box.
              What oil is recommended, semi,or fully synthetic?

Comment

As far as oil goes do a search and you will get plenty of reading info. I am thinking the tube you are referring to is part # 6 on the GL airbox diagram below. It does not show up on the 1000G diagram but I am pretty sure all of the G model airboxes have one. It is a rubber tube that goes straight down through the round hole in the side of the motor case and over the swingarm. The bottom of the airbox has some holes in it for air intake. I think four sets but I am going from memory.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Pleeeeeeeeeeease let's NOT start another oil thread!

Comment

Air Filter Box

Hi, The 1100g is a rare machine in the UK and all I wanted is the answer to a simple question about where things go.Sorry if its too much for you.

Comment

No, it's not too much for me! All's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by thicklotto View Post
                        Hi 1982 GS1100G USA.I have written before but never really got the answer.
                        There is no drain tube in the bottom of the box,but a pipe which runs through the LHS and connects to the top of the box.The hole in the base where it goes through is not air tight.Both ends of the box are airtight.There are holes in the base of the box.Oil accumulates on the underside of the box.
                        Has anybody out there got the same set up and the same problem.

(Originally Posted by thicklotto March 2009:
                        "Hi, If I remove the left cover the hose is there.It connects to the top of the air box. It then then passes through the box next to the actual filter.The cover is cut out to fit round the pipe.")

Here is an answer for you:

Your airbox is pretty similar to the airbox on an '82-83 GS850 which you can see on the "parts finder" at www.carolinacycle.com. See "aircleaner" or try clicking here: http://www.carolinacycle.com/fiche_s...1983&fveh=2144 The "tube" you refer to is shown clearly here. (Interestingly, the tube is NOT shown on the fiche for the 82 GS 1100G)

I believe the rubber tube you refer to is designed to drain off any gas that sprays out of the carbs into the top level (above the air cleaner element) of the airbox. It also drains oil that may have escaped from the PVC breather into the very top of the airbox via the big hose there.

The rubber tube fits into the top level of the airbox pretty flush so that when the bike is on the side stand, the gas or oil which may be puddling in the area above the element drains to the left, into the tube opening, and then down the tube and out at the bottom of the airbox.

The tube at the bottom (outside of the airbox) has its opening squeezed together so that unfiltered air is prevented (sort of!) from entering the tube and going directly to the carbs. Any fluid in the tube can seep out however.

Hope this helps,

Tomcat

Comment

Air Filter Box

Hi Tomcat, Thanks for your help in finding Fiche.
                          My set up is similar to what you describe, but with only one drain tube.
                          I just wonder why little oil accumulates in the box.
                          It does not use any oil.I think it has synthetic oil in it,I did not do the last change,perhaps it would be better with semi in it.

Comment

Originally posted by thicklotto View Post
                            My set up is similar to what you describe, but with only one drain tube.
                            I just wonder why little oil accumulates in the box.
                            There are only 2 reasons for oil to be in the airbox:

Either the element has been excessively oiled and the excess oil is dripping onto the inside bottom of the airbox (and out thru the holes you describe or out where the end cap meets the bottom of the airbox)...,

OR

A little blow-by oil is is entering the airbox through the breather hose (#13 on the 850 diagram) that runs from the top of the engine to the top of the airbox.

If the latter is the case, ideally the oil should enter the drain hose (#11 or 12 on the 850 diagram) and dribble out on the pavement somewhere behind the swingarm bearing. But maybe that hose is stopped-up. Check both ends of the hose. This hose ONLY takes out blow-by oil! If the hose is plugged or sticking up too far into the top airbox chamber (it's supposed to be flush), excessive blowby oil can accumulate above the element and spill over into the element and then drip down onto the bottom of the airbox.

What color is the oil you are seeing--clean or dirty? If clean, someone's probably over-oiled the element. If dirty, probably blowby.

Tomcat

Comment

Working...
                            X