Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Slippage ... help!

1982 gs450

2nd gear consistently slips to 3rd. I can easily shift into and out of 2nd gear, but it always slips to 3rd regardless of RPMs (takes longer at low RPMs, but inevitably it happens).

I have been able to manage as I just shift right from 1st to 3rd ... but being a small engine in the first place, id like to recoup the acceleration I'm losing by abandoning 2nd gear.

Any troubleshooting ideas would be MUCH appreciated ... I really have no idea where to start.

Hope you can help!

Thanks,
    dubs

It sounds as if the engagement dogs on your gears are rounded out. Not an easy fix (if they are, which is my guess). You'll need to split the cases and either have them machined back or find new/used ones.

I say not an easy fix because it's a more involved than than most. It's a good one day job if you know what you're doing. Not impossible otherwise, just more involved mechanically than most, and you may find it interesting.

Comment

Thanks reddirtrider ...

That sounds far above my mechanical abilities, so I will most likely end up paying someone to do this. Can I find individual parts on ebay or should I look for a whole new tranny?

Comment

Originally posted by bdub416 View Post
        Thanks reddirtrider ...

That sounds far above my mechanical abilities, so I will most likely end up paying someone to do this. Can I find individual parts on ebay or should I look for a whole new tranny?
        If it's on Ebay it will probably be the whole tranny.

Don't underestimate what you can accomplish wrenching on these bikes. Some of these guys in here live to help those who have never done this before. It's intimidating at first, but with a modest set of tools, patience, and a thread on your rebuild, I'm sure you can do it.

Besides, a mechanic will charge a good penny and you'll save doing it yourself, learning a thing or two in the process.

The real question is 'what's the overall shape of the bike to begin with'? If this is just another problem in long list of problems, then that's another story.

Comment

Those 450 motors are a dime a dozen. Find a replacement motor and switch it out.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef .... I am free to challenge you to find one?

I've been looking for over a month now and have been unable to find anything in remotely decent shape. I wish dime a dozen is what I was seeing, but maybe ebay isnt the best place to search?

Comment

That will probably do it.

There's a lot of parts there you won't use, but it looks pretty complete. Before you buy, ask them about the shift dogs and see if they can post a better picture. Preferably a close up.

What's the overall condition of your bike?

Comment

If everything is in decent shape you're not going to beat the price. Even the shipping is low.

Comment

After a years worth of guidance from fellow forum brethren ... its in great shape, runs like a champ!

Comment

Man, they made those engines from I think 80-88. You'd think there would be some available.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

After a years worth of guidance from fellow forum brethren ... its in great shape, runs like a champ!
                      If that's the case it's worth repairing. I didn't want to steer you to fixing something that wasn't worth it in the long run.

Comment

I'll keep looking for a complete motor ... but you would recommend that route over replacing the transmission? Looks as though a new tranny is much easier to find than a complete motor...

Anyone ever been through this, or have an idea of how much it would cost me to pay someone?

Comment

A couple of checks first before you start stripping right down or replacing - you might get lucky. Change the oil and flush through - might be some goop in there. Second, pull the clutch off and check the gear change pawls and springs (I've never worked on a 450 - you might be able to do this without pulling the clutch) - might just need a clean or could be worn.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I'll keep looking for a complete motor ... but you would recommend that route over replacing the transmission? Looks as though a new tranny is much easier to find than a complete motor...

Anyone ever been through this, or have an idea of how much it would cost me to pay someone?
                            If you can find a complete motor then it might be better. Keep in mind, however, that you may wind up with a different set of problems. Maybe someone on this board has one that's in decent shape. Put a listing in the wanted section.

Comment

Working...
                            X