Barely Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barely Charging

I was riding my 82 gs1100gl today and when almost home the bike started sputting and then died. turns out it was running on the battery. i took the side panels off and check the three connections coming from the stator, the little rubber boots had all slipped down a little and all the connections were touching. i pulled the boots back up and jumped the bike, the charging voltage at idle would just stay around 12 volts. at about 3k rpm the voltage was only 12.25. any ideas? did something maybe get fried from having those three stator wires touching?

Check your connections, grounds and retest. You should see about 14.4V at 4,000 RPM and if you don't see it in that range, you are next in line for an R/R. May I suggest the Honda upgrade...

Comment

The stator is essentially a 3-phase current source. You may have cooked it. Only way to tell what's wrong is go throung an electrical system check.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum3478 View Post
        I was riding my 82 gs1100gl today and when almost home the bike started sputting and then died. turns out it was running on the battery. i took the side panels off and check the three connections coming from the stator, the little rubber boots had all slipped down a little and all the connections were touching. i pulled the boots back up and jumped the bike, the charging voltage at idle would just stay around 12 volts. at about 3k rpm the voltage was only 12.25. any ideas? did something maybe get fried from having those three stator wires touching?
        You could have cooked the stator, but I suspect you didn't.

If the regulator worked before, what happened above would not damage it.

I suspect it's not working because the battery is still discharged.

With the connections touching you were running on the battery as you said.
        It takes a while to run it down, but once its down it will be at a lower voltage than normal till its recharged.

The stator does not really make enough current to effectively recharge a dead battery very fast (it will recharge it slowly if you rode it for 4-8 hours straight after you fixed the connections, but I would guess you didn't)

Put the battery on a 2 amp charger (the plug it in the wall type) for several hours (depends on charger, but probably like 4-8 hours ... maybe much more)

Once its fully recharged (holds a voltage of at least 12.6 volts for at least an hour after taking it off of the charger) see how it does in the bike.

If you're lucky, nothing was damaged and it will work properly again.

Don't delay recharging the battery. Leaving it completely discharged for any time at all damages it, and the damage gets worse the longer it sits.
        Sitting for even a day or two completely discharged could totally destroy it.

Comment

Hi,

Go through the troubleshooting procedure in the Stator Papers. Let us know what you find.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

yea i forgot about the fact that it would charge differently from a totally discharged state as opposed to fully charged. ill hook it up to my battery tender today. but do you think with those three wires from the stator touching, that it wouldnt charge?

Comment

Hi,

Yes, having the phases shorting together would definitely affect the AC output. One of the tests in the Stator Papers is checking the resistance between the phases (legs).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X