Problem starting and Idling my GS550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked again and it says PUSH --> P

The last position is a P. Maybe it doesnt matter, but i would hate to think that my whole problem was something really simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew4086 View Post
      I looked again and it says PUSH --> P

The last position is a P. Maybe it doesnt matter, but i would hate to think that my whole problem was something really simple.

nope to use that you push down and turn it...

it puts the steering lock on.... but with the park light going as well....

Comment

So while waiting for the carb rebuild kits to come in the mail, i head out to the bike to sit on the seat, make engine noises, its the closest thing i am getting to riding it these days.

I figure, what the hell, i'll give it a few kicks, see what happens. Well, on the third soft kick, she starts right up. Purred like a kitten for a while, but my baby was trying to sleep, so i reluctantly shut it down, knowing it may never start again.

I was cautiously optimistic the next day when i returned to the bike that it would start again and my life on two wheels would resume. but no. Nothing.

If there was a real problem with the carbs, or the valve clearances etc... would it have started out of the blue like this? What could be wrong that just comes and goes (but mostly stays)?

Any ideas?

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen..

Spark Plugs. Yup... $12.00 worth of new sparkplugs did the trick. I had pulled the old plugs and cleaned them up, without any success, and was about to rip into the carbs and do the valve adjustments, when my heavy-duty mechanic friend who was over last night, suggested i replace the plugs anyway, since it was apparent it had been a long time since it was done.

A quick trip to canadian tire this morning, bought some NGK BR8ES plugs, swapped them out and she started right up without hesitation. What a glorious feeling. Now for some insurance, and im back in business.

Thanks for all the input in this thread, maybe someone will learn something with similar issues to mine... REPLACE THE PLUGS... its super cheap, and might just be the answer.

Thanks again from a very happy GS owner.

Comment

Hi,

The "P" position on your ignition switch is for "Park". In this position the motor is turned off and the tail light is turned on.

So, no carb maintenance and no valve clearance check?

See you soon.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

[QUOTE=Andrew4086;1007506]Ladies and Gentlemen..

Spark Plugs. Yup... $12.00 worth of new sparkplugs did the trick. I had pulled the old plugs and cleaned them up, without any success, and was about to rip into the carbs and do the valve adjustments, when my heavy-duty mechanic friend who was over last night, suggested i replace the plugs anyway, since it was apparent it had been a long time since it was done.

Glad to hear you have your bike running. Now it time to do your valve clearance check and carb maintenance troubleshoot the electrical system.

Comment

Working...
              X