Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch Disc Pictures... How bad is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Disc Pictures... How bad is this?

OK, so I got my springs and gasket in today so I cracked the case. I had to drain the oil because putting it on the sidestand wasn't enough.

anyways, here's what I got when I took out the first few fibres:

They look glazed over. They're black and smooth. Can't see any fibres. I used a digital caliper and they're within spec.

How bad is this? What should a used clutch plate look like? Replace all of them I take it then eh?

I just took out the first few plates and they looked like that. The metal plates all looked fairly clean.

The second picture RHS still has some oil on it, LHS is what it looks like wiped down.

Advice/input?

All the springs were just about out of tolerance as well FYI.

In my experience, USUALLY when your clutch starts to slip, its more often the springs at fault than the fibres or steels. Worst case scenario here: You put new clutch springs in, see how it works out, and if it still slips, then you have to order fibres. But, Ive now had three different GSs with over 30K on them when i bought them, and every time ive simply replace springs and been good to go. Check your steels for blueing, if theyve a little bit, you should still be ok, if theyre really blue then you might look at changing them. But, IMO, change the springs, and i would bet your problem is solved. YMMV.

BTW, Ive always been told to install the plates back in they way they came out, hope you kept track. Dunno what problems it causes, but ive always done my best to heed that advise.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      In my experience, USUALLY when your clutch starts to slip, its more often the springs at fault than the fibres or steels. Worst case scenario here: You put new clutch springs in, see how it works out, and if it still slips, then you have to order fibres. But, Ive now had three different GSs with over 30K on them when i bought them, and every time ive simply replace springs and been good to go. Check your steels for blueing, if theyve a little bit, you should still be ok, if theyre really blue then you might look at changing them. But, IMO, change the springs, and i would bet your problem is solved. YMMV.

BTW, Ive always been told to install the plates back in they way they came out, hope you kept track. Dunno what problems it causes, but ive always done my best to heed that advise.
      What does blueing look like? The fibres are pitch black as you can see in the picture. I have no way of telling if they've changed color. I really don't know what to do here. I'm going to bring the disc into the shop tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by djscottymiami View Post
        What does blueing look like? The fibres are pitch black as you can see in the picture. I have no way of telling if they've changed color. I really don't know what to do here. I'm going to bring the disc into the shop tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.
        The fibers wont blue. The STEEL plates in the clutch will blue. In i think all (dunno for sure) the Zook models they use a series of fibres but every couple are sandwiched in between steel plates. Maybe its only a couple of steel plates, its been a while since ive been in one. I will be getting reaquained with it soon however, as its time once again for clutch springs, this time on my 1100ESD. At any rate, because of the friction i would expect some blueing, but ALOT means the steels could be a bit warped as the clutch as slipped so badly that a massive amount of heat had been generated repeatedly. Give it a look..

Comment

Clutch Plates

I just did mine also, (1985 GS700ES) and my fiber disc's look a lot like yours... Black and if I put them up to my NEW EBC's i found on flea-bay (great deal @ $23.00) and MIKE them I can tell why my clutch was slipping (i hope) haven't tried them out yet.

I used a 3m med scotch brite pad to xlean up my steel plates. Good luck.

Comment

1100 Clutch

Normally to stiffen up the clutch go to 3 OEM springs and 3 Barrett springs. Alternate the pattern. If you go 1168 cc BB then do all Barrett springs.
            U can find them on Ebay and else where.

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by Rkt-Rch View Post
              I just did mine also, (1985 GS700ES) and my fiber disc's look a lot like yours... Black and if I put them up to my NEW EBC's i found on flea-bay (great deal @ $23.00) and MIKE them I can tell why my clutch was slipping (i hope) haven't tried them out yet.

I used a 3m med scotch brite pad to xlean up my steel plates. Good luck.

I'm going to bring the clutch plate set to a bike shop tomorrow morning and have them look at it and see what they say about it. I'm just too unsure about it for myself. I'll bring the fibres and the steelies in and have them looked at. I'm just unsure because of how smooth the fibres are. They just look like a slick raised black square more then anything. I'd rather have a pro look at it. I was planning on cleaning the steel ones with scotch brite pads.

I've got new stock suzuki springs to get put in. I measured all of them, and they're on the edge of tolerances.

Comment

Clean those fibers off, install the new clutch springs and ride.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Either the light is weird in your top picture or you have some warped steels! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Clean those fibers off, install the new clutch springs and ride.

What can you clean them with? I tried just rubbing at em a bit and nothing really happened.

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    Either the light is weird in your top picture or you have some warped steels! Ray.

I don't think they're warped. They looked OK when I put them on a flat surface. We'll see what the shop says tomorrow I guess.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2009, 11:57 PM.

Comment

plates

steel ones. have little stamp marks on em. like bite marks. only a little uniform. for the most part. if there blue or burnt youll see it. dont worry if the marks arent totally uniform.unless you see the wear and there warped. when i bought my new fiber and steels .the teeth marks wernt exactly uniform. they faded in and out somwhat. .(so dont panick)
                      easy just check if there flat and with in specs.both steel and fiber . calipers are your friend.. look good from the pictures .

Comment

Use brake cleaner and then re-oil them before assembly.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well, brought them into 2 shops this morning. The common consensus is that they're burnt up pretty good (they smell burnt), and are worn out pretty good (when I measured them they were at the bottom of the spec limits.

The metal plates (some) have some uneven wear on them as well... so it was probably time to replace things in there anyways.

I got the suzuki dealer in town here to order me a set of EBC clutch plates. I'll re-use the steel ones and just scuff them up.

Hopefully this fixes my problem!

Comment

Working...
                          X