does any body know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does any body know

does any body know how to take a photo (from a magazine) and transfer it on to a gas tank (i have a very nice picture out of hustler mag) i have alredy wet sanded the clear. ive seen picures on bikes and have herd of people doing this and i would like to do it

My guess would be to prepare the picture, Put a coat of clear on the tank and while it is still wet mount the picture followed by several more coats of clear

Comment

You can also use an airbrush and spray 6 coats of automotive catalyzed clearcoat over the picture, allow it to dry for a day and then place the picture face down on a cookie sheet, tape the edges and soak it in water for a few hours. The clear coat will not dissolve, but the paper will. Gently rub off the paper with a sponge and you will be left with a clear decal which has picked up the ink from the original page. Once thoroughly clean, the picture back (the side the paper was removed from) can be squeegeed with varnish and positioned onto a tank or other surface. Gently rub out any wrinkles and allow to dry. Clearcoat over it to seal it. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      My guess would be to prepare the picture, Put a coat of clear on the tank and while it is still wet mount the picture followed by several more coats of clear
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hey, neat idea....HHHmmmmm.. :twisted:

Comment

Now earl how on earth did you discover that neat trick?
          S.

Comment

Its a little trick I discovered in art school. :-) :-) Also, when you are ready to apply the "decal" to the gas tank, use water base 100% clear acrylic varnish. The clear acrylic is non reactive to any type of clear coat when it has dried. The edges also will sand easily. Clear acrylic dries pretty quickly, so to make the job easier, add about 6 drops of liquid Joy to two ounces of clear acrylic and mix well. The liquid soap acts as a retarder and will give you more time to position the decal. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by silverhorse47
            Now earl how on earth did you discover that neat trick?
            S.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

VERY cool! Thanks.
              S.

Comment

inkjet printer

earlfor - do you think this might work with graphics printed on an inkjet printer? How about spraycan clearcoat? Youre giving me ideas!

Comment

Working...
                X