Ran out of gas today! Nice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran out of gas today! Nice!

So cruising along with the wife today, and knew I was under a half a tank, but didn't figure I was going to run out of gas!

My gas gauge is hard to read, sometimes it will move as much as a quarter of the way in either direction, depending on if I am accelerating, on a downslope or uphill. I thought I had about a quarter tank when it started sputtering, and it died. Sitting there, with the bike upright it showed under a quarter but not empty; and after taking the cap off I can see some gas and hear it swishing around in there.

For one thing, I couldn't get the switch to move over to reserve even though that wouldn't have got me to the next gas station anyways.

Is this common for these older bikes to have such an unreliable gas gauge, or can I fix something?

Thanks,
    Stranded Steve

Yep

As far as I know, they're all unreliable to some extent. Part of that is due to the fact that a sending unit has been used in a number of different models in spite of the fact that the tanks of different configurations.

I also think there's a little more to it, partly because they're gravity fed. My 1100 won't run with less than about 1/2 gallon in it. It should, but it doesn't.

My 750 used to show completely empty when it had about 1/3 of a tank so I took the sending unit out and bent the arm...now it's much more accurate.

I've always thought every bike I had ran better when it was full of gas.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
      As far as I know, they're all unreliable to some extent. Part of that is due to the fact that a sending unit has been used in a number of different models in spite of the fact that the tanks of different configurations.

I also think there's a little more to it, partly because they're gravity fed. My 1100 won't run with less than about 1/2 gallon in it. It should, but it doesn't.

My 750 used to show completely empty when it had about 1/3 of a tank so I took the sending unit out and bent the arm...now it's much more accurate.

I've always thought every bike I had ran better when it was full of gas.
      Note to self:

Fill up at half-way.

Thanks for the confirmation...

Comment

It should run fine until dry, not sure why some don't. Could be the wrong type fuel filter, maybe a problem with.the floats or vents or something. Reserve should get you thirty miles or more.
        The guages can be calibrated to be very accurate, it just takes a little time and effort.I like to adjust mine so the top of the red is when it hits reserve, the white line is when it stops for good. What it reads when it's full is of no concern to me. Search, there was a little tutorial about fixing the sending units.
        Last edited by tkent02; 04-18-2009, 11:07 PM.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          It should run fine until dry, not sure why some don't. Could be the wrong type fuel filter, maybe something with.the floats or vents or something. The guages can be calibrated to be very accurate, it just takes a little time and effort. Search, there was a little tutorial about fixing the sending units.
          Yeah, that would help so I don't wind up stranded.

On top of that, I was watching my trip meter - only at 98 miles when stalled out??? Which would be extremely bad fuel mileage, being that I reset it to 000 when I filled it completely (4 gallons?). I'm not sure that was accurate, but I was a little disheartened to see that kind of fuel mileage.

Comment

Wouldn't move into reserve? I beleive you can also use the prime function as a reserve if your bike has that setting. If the petcock is so old that the lever no longer moves might also be a good time to replace it also. Replacing mine saved a lot of greif.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
              Wouldn't move into reserve? I beleive you can also use the prime function as a reserve if your bike has that setting. If the petcock is so old that the lever no longer moves might also be a good time to replace it also. Replacing mine saved a lot of greif.
              Yes, please replace the petcock ASAP.

If you force it to move, corroded gunk from inside the petcock will get into your carbs and prop open the float needles, and your bike will pee gas whenever it's running. This situation is sub-optimal.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My fuel gauge at one point didn't read clearly last year, so I took the 2 connectors that hooked up to the fuel sending gauge unit clipped them and put new connectors on. After that, it read clearly and accurately. It probably was the fact that they were 27 years old. Something worth checking into.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

If you force it to move, corroded gunk from inside the petcock will get into your carbs and prop open the float needles, and your bike will pee gas whenever it's running. This situation is sub-optimal.
                  When I first got the bike a few months back, we looked at the petcock and it was clean....and we could get it to move into a different position, although it was hard to move.

Comment

I can run my 750 down to the last drop; it has a Pingel. My 1100 needs more than 1/2 gallon to run correctly; it has a 1980 petcock. I think that's probably where the problem lies because, otherwise, those two bikes are extremely similar (both '80s).

By the way, for those who don't know, "reserve" for the 1980 petcock is nothing more than the leg power you save up so you can push it to the gas station.

Comment

I jumped on my bike the other day and went for a ride, as I was heading back into town it started sputtering meaning time to switch to reserve. Imagine my surprise when I realized I had switched it to reserve a few days before and still hadn't gotten gas. Luckily it sputtered it's way into the closest gas staion and I filled it up and switched it back to the run position. I can usually get at least thirty miles out of if after switching to reserve.

Comment

Been there!

Originally posted by pntrdave View Post
                        I jumped on my bike the other day and went for a ride, as I was heading back into town it started sputtering meaning time to switch to reserve. Imagine my surprise when I realized I had switched it to reserve a few days before and still hadn't gotten gas. Luckily it sputtered it's way into the closest gas staion and I filled it up and switched it back to the run position. I can usually get at least thirty miles out of if after switching to reserve.
                        On some of the bikes I've owned in the past, I used to do the same thing on occasion. On my Pingel equipped 750, I have the stand pipe cut down to the point where I get about 12-14 miles on reserve. When I hit reserve, I get pretty serious about finding a gas station right from the 'get go'!

Comment

filter?

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

I use a filter on mine, dont you guys use filters?
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by SabreJim View Post
                            I use a filter on mine, dont you guy use filters?
                            I don't. Never had any reason to. I've always thought the petcock filter should be sufficient.

Comment

Working...
                            X