Problems at higher rpms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems at higher rpms...

Just bought my first bike, a GS750L 1981 and looking forward to getting it on the road!. Had the carbs totally rebuilt but when it gets up towards 5000 rpms it struggles like a lack of fuel... It's got pods on it that probably should be replaced but seem to be in working condition. Also wondering if these are the carbs that came stock on the bike (anyone with a picture of stock carbs for this model? I'm thinking it's either the wrong set of carbs or an issue with the jets... Not really sure, obviously kind of new with this. This seems like an awesome site and any help/direction would be much appreciated!

Any ideas?

Originally posted by therountree View Post
    Just bought my first bike, a GS750L 1981 and looking forward to getting it on the road!. Had the carbs totally rebuilt but when it gets up towards 5000 rpms it struggles like a lack of fuel... It's got pods on it that probably should be replaced but seem to be in working condition. Also wondering if these are the carbs that came stock on the bike (anyone with a picture of stock carbs for this model? I'm thinking it's either the wrong set of carbs or an issue with the jets... Not really sure, obviously kind of new with this. This seems like an awesome site and any help/direction would be much appreciated!

Any ideas?
    I think you need to provide us with a picture of your carbs. And you need to check what jets are in your carbs and post the results so we can see if they are original or not. If the jets and needle have not been changed for the pods then this will have to be done or change back to a standard filter with standard jetting. The pods allow much more air through the carbs and therefore the motor will run lean in all stages of operation and the carbs need to be jetted up (richer) to cpmpensate for this.

EDIT: Your carbs should be CV "BS" type 32mm. Vacuum type carbs with diaphragm. Your carbs should be BS32SS.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2009, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. therountree,

Pods will require rejetting to compensate for the extra airflow. If you "had" the carbs "rebuilt", how do you know that they were done properly? Hit the books, do your research, and to help you, here are a couple of links to get you started.

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Here is a picture of the carbs while they are still on the bike. How do I check what type of Jets are in the carbs?

Thanks for the warm welcome! As you can tell I don't know a whole lot about this but I am learning! I really appreciate the insight! Thanks for the links, this is great stuff!

Comment

Take off the carbs and open the float bowl. The main jet is the the large round one and the pilot jet is under the rubber cap.
          I bet the carbs weren't jetted for the pods.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X