Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS750, multiple questions from a new GS owner ( not new to cars and bikes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750, multiple questions from a new GS owner ( not new to cars and bikes)

Hello Guys.....Im in the process of getting my newly acquired GS750 ready for riding....

I have a couple of questions and hopefully some of the more experienced GS folks can help me out.

First Im not exactly sure which model this bike is. The Title states GS750C. Couldnt find info on a gs750c. The frame number is GS750X701405. man. Date was 11/79......Title says 1980. Any info on decoding the vin would be most helpful.......

Next, I was trying to find the previous owner of this bike as to me it is abnormally clean for a 1980 bike on the east coast.(MASS) The carbs are BRAND new, and it has a VH 4-1 and accel coils and wires.Progressive suspension,etc.

I would love to know if it has any internal work done, as this thing hauls balls....And Im pretty sure the only way to tell is to crack it open ( unless I find the previous owner)....Im assuming the Original owner put a jet kit with the bike, as its very responsive, not farting popping etc.....no smoke or soot out of the pipe. Just twist and go LOL.

I have a few friends who had well maintained GS750's with pipes and minor mods, and this thing would run circles around them LOL

I believe my back brake caliper is sticking, so would love to hear of some good resources you guys use for such an endeavor.

Im thinking of ditching the seat for more of a single rider/cafe/ bobber street fighter look...LOL, and lowering the progressive shocks a tad.....Im pretty sure I can do that with a spanner wrench correct????

Sorry for all the questions, hope you folks dont mind. Im sure you will see me posting in the wanted section for some odds and ends

Oh yeah, here are a couple of cell phone pics.....

Wow, nice bike. Thanks for the great photos.

Not much I can tell you about it though (although it's definitely 1980's and later because of the rectangular valve cover/cam ends).

Way smarter/informed people will be at your service soon.

Good luck!

Rick

Comment

Looks like 80-81 GS750 16V

Looks like a later model 80-81 16V engine was stuck in it. It still looks like a 750 rather than 1100. From what I can tell:

1 square 16V end caps off of 80-82 750's
      No oil galarry port at base of jugs (GS750)
      No rear oil port cover (1100 has a cover).

I have an 81 GS750 pretty much pure stock and it moves pretty good.

Alot of nice details on polsihing. Maybe he did a big bore kit?

Frame is not the 16V GS750 so it could be the GS750C

Posplayr

Comment

The build date is 11/79, but it's a 1980 bike. Your local car and bike dealership sells the 2010 models of most cars by now, or at least by august, right? Bike was built in november 79, with the 1980 model specs.

Anyways, very clean bike for an 1980!!

The seat looks like an L model, but not completely positive.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2009, 06:07 PM.

Comment

That is a '80. '79 had vm carbs, yours has cv carbs. very nice bike!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys......

Those progressive rear shocks I have can be lowered with a spanner wrench correct?

My rear caliper seems to be freezing up, and my brake light will not light up when the brakes are applied. Im thinking maybe a stuck switch or bad relay somewhere?????

Sorry for all the questions, Just like to pick peoples brains for info. And Im really fond of this bike for some reason LOL

Oh yeah, Thanks for the kind comments as well.Like I said Im really surprised how the previous owner kept up on it. I had a few CB750 bobbers, and none were nearly as clean..........

Comment

Clean the rear master cylinder for the sticking caliper.
              Check the fluid. If it's brown change it.
              It's an 80 with the slotted rotors
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X