options for side kickstand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

options for side kickstand

Hey guys, I have an 82' GS850GZ and last year whenever I parked my bike on the side stand, it always looks like it is leaning a good amount and was wondering if anyone had done anything to their kickstands or replaced them because they have had similar problems. I don't have a center stand anymore because I put a new V&H 4-1 pipe and had to remove it due to that. My bike just seems to really lean to the left side every time it is on the side stand. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Which way do you turn the bars when on the side stand. Often, turning them to the left
    helps to keep the bike at less of an angle. No scientific but it works...

Comment

I guess i try to turn them to the right because the bike is leaning to the left. I'm just always concerned that the bike might tip over whenever I do put the side stand down.

Comment

I find my GS is fine and it does have a center stand which I only recently learned how to use ( long story....tried to use muscle instead of technique). Generally, I just put it on the center stand in the garage not usually when I'm out unless a hurricane is blowing.

The XS, on the other hand, was a real issue. When trackerizing a bike you ditch all the excess weight and the centerstand went in the junk pile, leaving the side stand. On the XS, the side stand is short and makes the bike lean too much. Very precarious I always thought (although probably safe enough).

What I did was take a bit of steel tube about 8" long and about 3/4" diameter. Flattened about 2" at one end then bent the flattened piece to a rough L shape. Next I cut off the foot of the existing stand and slid the extension on and welded it in place. The resulting lift of about 3" or so props the bike more up right.

Some other guys on the XS forum took a simpler approach and welded a 2 or 3" chunk of steel to the bottom of the stock stand.

There are also "hockey pucks" that you can get that slip on to the foot of the stand for extra lift but i think these are fiddly and likely easy to lose.

I've seen a few guys carry a chunk of hardwood on a string which they put dow for the foot of the stand to sit on but again fiddly in my mind. I like the extension fixed to the bike.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

Thanks. Last year every time I parked, I would always try to find a little part of pavement that was higher on the left to just have a piece of mind. I have tightened the bolts that hold the kickstand together so it doesn't have any play when the stand is up. I don't have the tools to heat bend or extend any metal piece on my bike, but appreciate the ides.

Comment

its not difficult to make your own, i made one for my mates katana. you can buy the fork bit off the shelf. they are used on pneumatic cylinders etc. just measure up the size you need.
            then just measure the length you need and get a metal fabricator to knock up a length of round bar with a plate on the end and a lug for the spring.
            simples!
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
            X