Replacing Tranny ... Need Guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Tranny ... Need Guidance

Me and a couple fellow Forum members are going to attempt to replace the tranny in my 1982 gs450 ... I'll preface this with ... neither of us have ever done it before ...

Can someone breakdown the process in lehman's terms? Tips or advice ... things to look for?

List of gaskets/bolts/(others?) I should order and have on-hand before starting?

I have a manual and will be studying it prior to, but if there are other resources I should look at please advise.

Thanks for excusing my ignorance ... I'll keep this thread updated with progress (and pictures)...

Regards,
    dubs

Since the tranny is an integrated part of the engine, are you replacing the entire bottom end and installing your jugs and head or are you moving the innards over from another power plant to yours?

I would replace the entire engine with another powerplant to save time and effort. The 450 is a common engine and quite a few years and models interchange.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I wish that were the case duaneage, for as common of an engine as many claim ... they are incredibly hard to come by. I would welcome any leads.

The plan is to replace just the tranny. Tranny as the exception, the motor is in good condition.

Comment

Remove the clutch & stator covers, the clutch hub, ignition plate, & all retaining clips & bolts that hold the csae halves together. Split the cases & replace the trans. CLEAN the snot out of upper & lower case half mating surfaces, lightly coat the LOWER case half mating surface with Threebond 1207B, line up shift forks & gears to recieve them, & assemble case halves. You are doing this with the engine upside down after removing all bolts to separate. Make sure you have a GOOD manual! By good, I mean SUZUKI factory shop manual. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

I don't mean to be cruel but another GS could be found that might be less work to fix up than upending the power plant. Are you confident the parts you are installing are OK? Scratch that if going with new. What is wrong with the tranny that is leading up to this?

Get large pans and be prepared for a huge mess. The oil drips for days. Be careful removing the case bolts, don't use air power as the bolts could hang and snap off. Before you glue it together test the operation of the gears by going through each gear and slowly turning the engine over and then getting back to neutral. Might not be necessary but at least you'll know it should work.

I would take two saw horses, put boards between them leaving a 2 foot gap for the head and jugs, and this should allow the engine to hang. If you intend to pop the head and jugs it's more work, but easier to do the trans and test it. Needless to say, you're going to need a lot of beer and pizza for your friends.

Comment

How do you "split" the cases?

So obviously, we are taking the engine out of the bike and positioning it upside down to work on, right?

Thanks.

ps. I am one of the helpers

Comment

Thanks Rapidray, I should also clarify that I really only need to replace 2nd gear ... if that is more convenient? Reason for replacing tranny is that 2nd gear slips. We are going to look at the clutch first to rule out the easier fixes.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2009, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Sounds like worn shifting forks or something like that. You should be able to identify what is worn and damaged and replace. Be careful not to damage the case halfs as they are matched and cannot be replaced individually.

Comment

Originally posted by bdub416 View Post
                  Thanks Rapidray, I should also clarify that I really only need to replace 2nd gear ... if that is more convenient? Reason for replacing tranny is that 2nd gear slips. We are going to look at the clutch first to rule out the easier fixes.
                  If you means 'slips' by slips out of gear, then it's the tranny. If 'slips' means that the engine revs up but the bike doesn't accelerate, then it's the clutch.

Comment

Call me at 714-356-7845. A LOT of guys here are either scared or lazy because this is an EASY job to do & not difficult for even a first timer! I do trans swaps in GS 1100 motors in 2 hours, with the motor sitting on my table, start to finish. If second gear is bad find a good trans & just swap it. If you are going to have the motor sitting around open while you order & wait for parts, you risk losing parts & getting crap inside the motor unless you take great care in wrapping stuff up. Let me know if I can help. Ray.
                    Last edited by rapidray; 04-20-2009, 11:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post

So obviously, we are taking the engine out of the bike and positioning it upside down to work on, right?

Thanks.

Yes, motor out of bike & remove UPPER case half bolts first, then turn motor over & remove lower case half bolts & split case halves. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post

Thanks.

There are bolts that hold the case halves together. Remove them (look at your manual for reference and give the case half a tap with a rubber mallet to get it moving and seperate them. If the cases do not want to come apart - make sure you have all the bolts removed. They should separate without much effort. Use a rubber or plastic mallet. Do not use a steel hammer, a chisel, or a screwdriver. You'll break the cases or mar the surface and you'll ruin the cases.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          Call me at 714-356-7845. A LOT of guys here are either scared or lazy because this is an EASY job to do & not difficult for even a first timer! I do trans swaps in GS 1100 motors in 2 hours, with the motor sitting on my table, start to finish. If secong gear is bad find a good trans & just swap it. If you are going to have the motor sitting around open while you order & wait for parts, you risk losing parts & getting crap inside the motor unless you take great care in wrapping stuff up. Let me know if I can help. Ray.
                          What Ray said. This isn't rocket science and if you pay attention to what you're doing and follow the manual you shouldn't have any problems.

As someone else said here to check the tranny by going throught the gears. I agree with that and do it after assembly, but before I re-install back into the bike. It's a simple test and could save you another removal.

Comment

You could also benefit from having another bottom end to compare with when working on it, since it is your first time. Digital pictures are handy to make sure you don't forget something. Get a good torque wrench suitable for 0-20 lbs or 0-240 inches of torque.

Comment

rapidray ... I'll definitely be calling you, thanks for the offer to assist.

I have a tranny on order, should be receiving today or tomorrow. And to address an earlier question, slipping gears meaning slips from 2nd to 3rd.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X