Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP Swing Arm Bearings - Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP Swing Arm Bearings - Am I missing something?

I have a GS850 and I am putting my bike back together after taking it apart to replace the Secondary boot. I saw in the GS850 Manual from Bike Cliffs website that the bearings need to be put back in the swing arm with a special tool. on pgs 11-43 and 11-44 for those of you that have the manual.

The bearings seem to just sit in the spot where they need to go. What am I missing? could my swing arm be messed up? It doesn't look like there is anything inside the swing arm that needs "pressed in". Fig 11-134 on pg 11-43 shows an exploded view of the swing arm and nothing inside...

any help would be much appreciated.
    thanks in advance,
    Marc

The bearing will just sit there and be tensioned by the swingarm bolts, but the bearing race (shell) is what needs to be removed with the special tool. If you don't have the tool, you can run a bead of weld along the face of the bearing shell and it will shrink and fall out.

EDIT: This is assuming you are replacing the bearings, otherwise just re-grease and re-assemble!
    Last edited by hillsy; 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks Hillsy

I hadn't planned on replacing anything I didn't have to. So I am good to clean everything up and re-grease? This I can do :0)

Thanks again.

Comment

ok I'm going to have to replace one of the bearings. It's all bunged up and stuck. the housing (race?) is also messed up not nice and smooth like the other side.

Is the inside of the swing arm where the bearing fits in called the race? I"m going to take it to get fixed but don't want to sound stupid when I take it in. I don't mind sounding stupid in here though LOL

Comment

yes the race is what the bearing rides in

Comment

thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
            X