gs 550 only idles and dies with no choke on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 550 only idles and dies with no choke on

I bought a gs550 its a 79. When I bought it none of the hoses were connected. I got it to run but only idle and it wont run with the choke off or if I give it any gas. There are two hoses comming out of the top of the carbs if I pump air into them the bike runs great for about 10 seconds but after that it dies down to an idle again. I dont have the airbox on it either. I was wondering if it would make that much of a difference without and airbox and filter. I was also wondering where those two hoses go if anybody knows let me know please.

Re: gs 550 only idles and dies with no choke on

I'm surprised it runs at all without the airbox and filter. Put them on.

Earl

Originally posted by ickibob
    I bought a gs550 its a 79. When I bought it none of the hoses were connected. I got it to run but only idle and it wont run with the choke off or if I give it any gas. There are two hoses comming out of the top of the carbs if I pump air into them the bike runs great for about 10 seconds but after that it dies down to an idle again. I dont have the airbox on it either. I was wondering if it would make that much of a difference without and airbox and filter. I was also wondering where those two hoses go if anybody knows let me know please.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The two hoses sound like vents. How did you pump air into them?

Comment

My GS550 would run wihout the box, but not for long. Put on the air box and get that filter in place.

If it dies when the choke is let in, my guess is too much air is getting into the engine causing it to stop.

Comment

I just used an air compressor to blow air into the two hoses and it would run great for a couple seconds

Comment

gs550 only runs and dies with no choke on

you definitely need to put the airbox and filter back on and the two hoses you mentioned if they are at each end of the carb block near #1 and the other near # 4 then those are vent lines.

Comment

Re: gs550 only runs and dies with no choke on

Originally posted by flyboy3826
              you definitely need to put the airbox and filter back on and the two hoses you mentioned if they are at each end of the carb block near #1 and the other near # 4 then those are vent lines.
              "they" come together above the carbs at center and turn to the rear, fitting thru the raised loop on the airbox cover.

i experienced a similar 'idling' phenom; also blowing air thru those tubes... (very strange!) which would cause a similar temporary fix . turned out i had a cracked intake tube on the engine side of the carb.

Comment

Working...
              X