Did I kill my petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I kill my petcock?

So, I bought a new (used) tank to replace my old rusty one and didn't realize i would need a new petcock as the tank I bought was for a 79 GS550 and my bike is an 80 GS550. SO, I throw on my old tank and it runs fine for maybe 10 minutes then I go to start it up again the next day and I get nothing. I turned the valve off before removing the tank (where it is set to PRI or not) and I think I over-rotated this. Now when I unplug the fuel line and turn the valve, no matter where it is I get no fuel emptying. Am I screwed? Can I possibly fix this and if not and ideas where I can get a petcock for the 79 GS550 so I can throw the new tank on (and am I missing any OTHER details that may screw me over on a beautiful day like today?)?

I appreciate the input in advance!

On the '80 petcock, even on "prime", you still need a bit of vacuum to start flow. Once the gas starts flowing, it should still flow if the vacuum is removed.

Obviously, on "run" it should only flow when vacuum is applied.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

i have a petcock question as well. i have a 1981 gs1100ex and there is no switch on my petcock you have to use a screwdriver to turn it so i dont really know which position is which i think i have it right now but i am not sure. cananyone shed some light? and also i think i may have some of the hoses fromt eh tank and carbs routed improperly or incorrectly. can someone put up some pics or a image to help? thanks

Comment

Even when the engine isn't on run I get no flow regardless of where I twist the PRI valve thing. I'm incredibly new to this though, I could be doing any number of things wrong that should be obvious to me...

Comment

See attached pic.
          Eddie V

Comment

disconnect the fuel line & run it into a container, suck on the vacuum line to the petcock. Turn the petcock slot until fuel flows.

Comment

I'll be honest, as I went to start sucking on the vaccum line I thought there may be a chance you just wanted me to look like an ass in my front yard and the entire thing was a joke, but it got the fuel flowing! I have it running again and I can finally ride my bike to work tomorrow! Thanks a ton!
              Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2009, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I think i have the combo right but i am not sure. i checked my plugs the tips are a light grey and there is fluffy carbon deposits around the base. i cleaned out the air filter and took it for a blast to see if it was because of excessive idling. seems to be running better in this position on the petcock. i am still not 100% and a picture or diagram of the hose and car and fueltank setup would be greatlly appreciated. i ahve a manual but it doesnt show any of that.

Comment

Working...
                X