another newbie '82 650 l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another newbie '82 650 l

jumped into a project without thinkin first, nothing new for me, i think i got the problem narrowed down to the r/r. its an electrical issue. got a little money to burn the wife doesnt know about so should i get the stator when i get a rect/reg. and replace it all? worried i'll burn something else up if i dont replace it all. going with the electrosport that i've been reading about on here. double checked all the connections and went thru the grounds.should i get a signal generator whiule i'm at it? thanks for all help its appreciated

Originally posted by burntup2 View Post
    jumped into a project without thinkin first, nothing new for me, i think i got the problem narrowed down to the r/r. its an electrical issue. got a little money to burn the wife doesnt know about so should i get the stator when i get a rect/reg. and replace it all? worried i'll burn something else up if i dont replace it all. going with the electrosport that i've been reading about on here. double checked all the connections and went thru the grounds.should i get a signal generator whiule i'm at it? thanks for all help its appreciated

You sure it isnt just the battery or something, have you done a voltmeter check to see how much you are getting?

No point replacing the stator if all ya need is a battery or something...

From what i read on here usually a reg/rec going on these bikes is caused by a shot stator and people get a new reg/rec which just fries again.

Comment

just put a new battery in it. really aint got a clue so i thought i'd replace it all so im not stuck miles from home

Comment

just put a new battery in it. really aint got a clue so i thought i'd replace it all so im not stuck miles from home

If it ain't broke don't fix it.... does the headlight get brighter when you rev it? generally a sign its charging.

Comment

nope the volt meter shows 10amps when idlleing can run it up to about 5 grand b 4 it dogs down.ran it around the block about 3 times brought it home and the battery is deader than hell

Comment

Clean and check all your ground wires, make sure you're getting a good ground. Ground the r/r to the battery, the battery to the frame, and check your charging voltage again, see if it changes. 9 times out of 10, it's a bad ground causing your problems. Ask me how I know...........

And hey, welcome!!!!!, also check out BassCliff's site, he has a lot of good information there.

Comment

nope the volt meter shows 10amps when idlleing ...
              Sorry, but if your VOLT meter is showing 10 AMPS, something is wrong with your volt meter.

However, if your VOLT meter is showing 10 VOLTS when idling, something is wrong with your BIKE.

Take a look at the home page for The GS Resources, you will see a link down on the left in the Technical section that is labelled In the Garage. Click on that, then scroll down, you will see a collection of links called The Stator Papers. Lots of good reading there, but the one you want is Stator Papers IV, which has a wonderful troubleshooting tree. Use your VOLT meter to do the tests outlined there, you will know in just a matter of a few minutes exactly where your problems lie.

If, like me, you are creatively lazy, just click on any of the links above, and you won't have to do any of that tedious searching.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve...could you be a little "more Specific" with you posts?
                Nice job pal...

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. burntup2,

Yes, the Stator Papers are your ticket to a well functioning charging system. Now let me roll out the welcome mat...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    Steve...could you be a little "more Specific" with you posts? ...
                    NO.

I will NOT be more specific.

I have been accused of merely spewing useless drivel by one newcomer (last year or so), so I will only be as specific as necessary, and NO MORE!!!

What, you don't like the way I put links in there to make it easy?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      NO.

I will NOT be more specific.

What, you don't like the way I put links in there to make it easy?

I think it is PERFECT! Sure saves a lot of time for the hunters.

Comment

i got the bike for pretty much free. ive got till june 6 to get it ready for a run i wanna go on. have the extra cash hid away from the wife so i thought about replacing the stator, r/r and any other things y'all can recomend. its got 10,000 on it. went thru the grounds had a buddy rebuild the carbs ,gonna get new manifolds. wanna replace what i can just not sure what all need. not real handy with a volt meter as you can tell from the last post. chevys dont have two wheels or id be on one of those. lot of good info on here. i'm trying to learn as i go thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                        X