85 suzuki gs700es doesnt want to idle without some throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 suzuki gs700es doesnt want to idle without some throttle

hello everyone i have a suzuki gs700es 85 and for some reason even after i had the cabs cleaned and rebuilt it still wont idle for me at a stopsign inless i rev it up a little. any ideas guys?

Set the idle up a little bit
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

That would be my thought as well. Lots of questions though.

Does it idle at all? If so, how many revs is it doing at idle?

Also, are you sure it isn't set a bit lean? Have you done a plug check?

Comment

Here's another thought - when the carbs were rebuilt - did anyone replace the o-rings in the intake manifold boots? If not, they need it I guarantee. I did mine last year and the difference it made was amazing in how it idled and ran.

Comment

Hi Mr. sparkmaster123,

Who rebuilt your carbs for you?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

When you "had the carbs cleaned and rebuilt" did you see how they were done?
            Did you get a report on what all was done? Or were they just "cleaned and rebuilt"?

I ask because there are many different versions of "rebuilding the carbs". Some guys (maybe even some shops) will open up the float bowls, wipe out any solid crud, then spray some cleaner around to make it look nice. If it has been a while since the carbs ran on a regular basis, they need to be completely disassembled, dipped and put back together with all new o-rings. Most shops don't want to take the time to do this, because it will take about 6-8 hours of shop time, for which they will have to charge you about $400 or more, plus parts. Even more if they have to take the carbs off the bike and put them back on. Even more if they have to sync the carbs for you. If you get a can of carb dip and a set of o-rings, your cost will be less than $50. Add $90 for a Morgan Carbtune to sync the carbs and you can see why it's best to do the job yourself. Yeah, the Carbtune is not cheap. It costs about what a shop might charge you to sync the carbs, but the advantage is that next time, you will still have the gauge, so it will be a FREE adjustment.

It is also possible that you might just need a carb sync or an idle mixture adjustment. Try those first before you spend a lot of money elsewhere.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Sparkmaster, PM me if you need intake o-rings. If you don't know that means you do! I'm going to give out one more free set so if you want them let me know.

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
              X