Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 Clutch Basket and Starter Clutch

Hey Folks...
    Restoration on the 1150 is coming along...most of the parts cleaning and painting of the chasis is done...now to the engine.
    A question about the clutch and starter clutch.
    I've pulled the clutch to check it out and replace the springs. I've read about lose rivites and broken backing plates. Mine looks to be in OK shape...three of the shock springs appear to have washers and three don't. The three that don't I can spin them with my fingers with some effort...the ones with washers I can't budge. The clutch basket looks to be as from the factory...no welding of the rivets etc. One thing that does bother me is that there is some slack between the drive gear and the basket??? some radial and some lateral.
    I plan to just put it into my hydraulic press and tighten the rivets if the experts think that's all that's needed. This bike isn't going to be really ridden hard...mostly some highway trips etc. I could also weld the backing plate to the rivets???

I've also read quite a bit about the three bolts that hold the starter clutch to the alternator rotor shearing off and how difficult it can be to remover the rotor, even with the factory puller. All looks to be good there as far as I can see with it assembled...the clutch appearst to be tight on the rotor. I can see the back ends of the bolts through the rotor and the all seem to be in the same distance in, but there's really no way to check and see if the are properly tightened. Would it be wort the effort to go ahead and get a puller and just replace them, not sure if it's a common enough malady to pull the rotor just to check them???
    Thanks for any imput...
    ED

starter clutch

i made a home made puller and got mine off pretty easy i just got alot of tension on it and hit the fly wheel with a rubber mallet and it poped right off. i have heard they can be a pain though.

Comment

Hey Sean...
      How did you make your puller...looks like the outside of the rotor is threaded...

Comment

Ed, FIX the clutch hub! The gear is NOT supposed to have movement! If your motor is stock bore & compression, don't even touch the starter clutch. Call me at 714-356-7845 if you have more questions or need help. I build & race GS motors & have for over 25 years. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray...
          Yeah...I want this bike to be stone reliable...a broken clutch basket 500 miles from home would be NO FUN! I don't plan to ride the bike hard, but every now and then a handful of throttle on one of these is hard to resist. lol
          I'll be working on it tonight...so I may give you a call.
          The bike has 41,000 on it and had thought about doing an upper end rebuild, but it runs great and no oil seepage, so I may just leave it alone. If it ain't broke.......
          Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM.

Comment

gs

yah listen to ray he know's what hes talking about.

Comment

Working...
            X