1982 gs 550L High Idle- floods easy - choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs 550L High Idle- floods easy - choke

We bought this bike last year with 8000 miles on it. It had been neglected in a garage for years.

We rebuilt the carbs last year and balanced the carbs.

However, it is still fussy to get started. The idle has to be maintained by using the choke, it is usually high, and it is hard to keep it steady. It also floods real easy on warm starts if you are not reeeeealy careful about how you start it. I have been stranded several times on this bike because of flooding/dead battery.

When the bike is on the road it runs great except for the idle. You gotta keep playing with the choke.

I read what i could on the forum from old posts and based on what I read this weekend I will be getting new air intake o-rings and installing them. I will make sure that the boots are in good shape and that they seal correctly.

Any other advice for these symptoms?

Thanks

Ron
    Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2009, 12:18 PM.

8000 miles ?......It's time to adjust the valves. These bikes absolutely love having the valves in spec. It should cure the hard starting issues.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Is that hard or easy to do? I already do all the engine work on my cx650 honda, but this is my first adventure into suzuki's.
      I have a manual at home I will look at tonight. Any tips or warnings on adjusting valves? Do I need any new parts? Do I need any special tools?

Comment

Originally posted by ronj10 View Post
        Is that hard or easy to do? I already do all the engine work on my cx650 honda, but this is my first adventure into suzuki's.
        I have a manual at home I will look at tonight. Any tips or warnings on adjusting valves? Do I need any new parts? Do I need any special tools?
        You'll need a new valve cover gasket and the basic tools.
        Since you've done work on a bike before, it should be easy enough for you.
        Here's a tutorial of a GS850. Both it and your bike are 8 valvers so it's the same. Check your manual for proper clearances for your bike. Also added the zip-tie method so you don't need the valve extraction tool.

You can do a search for valve adjustment or valves and probably have enough reading for a couple days.

Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

If you have to keep the choke on to keep it running, sounds like your idle circuit in the carbs are still clogged. Time for another carb cleaning, and be sure the pilot jet is clear, and remove the idle fuel screw (under the little plug, if it hasn't been done before), and clean that passage real well too.

Comment

starting issues

I have to agree with the pilot jet cleaning, sounds like they are restricted. Take them out and hold them up to a lite source and see if you can see through the orifice at the bottom, very small opening. Then clean the fuel bowl passage that fees the pilot jet( where the brass tube goes into the fuel bowl ). This becomes restricted also. bmac

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ronj10,

Clean carbs (the right way), no leaks in the air intake system, good charging system (the Stator Papers), you should be good to go. Pay special attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues" in the mega-welcome. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2009, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X